Result Sunday Open 25th February 2018 Island Pond.

Who won? Reports and Pictures. Discuss what went on and share your stories.

Result Sunday Open 25th February 2018 Island Pond.

Postby Tommy L » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:37 pm

f2.jpg

Winner:..Tommy Lauriston..Peg 28..9Lbs-12ozs

2nd:..Darrin Ferguson..Peg 30..1Lb-12ozs

3rd...Dougie Campbell..Peg 26..0Lb-4ozs

Match Report:

Only 4 nutters turned out to fish on a very cold day. Big Thank you to Darrin Ferguson for breaking out tombs to fish in on all 4 pegs. Given Wednesday's results the favored peg of the day would be Peg 28. Dougie who says he must draw better was allowed to draw first looking for Peg 28. He didn't do better and selected Peg 26 which was 2nd equal on Wednesday. Bill Bright then put his hand in the draw bag and came out with Peg 24 so he had drawn to poorest and shallowest peg in the draw. Tommy was using the strategy that he fishes will the unluckiest anglers that he knows and his way of getting peg 28 was to let them all draw first. That was not to be as Darrin had to return home as he had forgot to brush the most famous teeth in angling.

Tommy was forced to draw and managed to get Peg 28 leaving Darrin with the peg that hadn't been fished for a while. The match was fished from 11am till 4pm and Tommy was playing a stockie carp which he lost before Darrin had finished feeding his lines. Tommy was getting bites from the off but not landing the fish until he managed to sort out a landing strategy as the ice was making it difficult. Sort it he did and he was off and running catching stockies.

Darrin managed to get his silver line going down the track but was never in the hunt as Tommy was fishing the stick ups in his right margin and even getting snagged and breaking rigs he was steadily building his weight up. Around the 3 hour mark Tommy hooked into a fish that was pulling all over below the ice. With a 2 Lb breaking strain hook length and no Pulla Bung Tommy decided to just relax and take his time as he had a good lead. The elastic a solid number 8 was bottomed out a few times. The fish fought well and as the biggest fish in the pond was only 5Lbs there was a good chance that the fish was foul hooked by the runs it was making.

10 mins holding on before Tommy eventually managed to see his float again. The decision was made to land it using a top 5 and just take all the time as there was no rush. Another 5 mins and the fish came to the surface and it could be seen that it was hooked in the fin. Fish that are hooked in the fin are generally quite firmly hooked and the only danger was breaking the hook length. 5 mins later the net was placed under the fish bringing disappointed looks from Darrin and Dougie and a big smile on Tommy's face. The match was over at that time and realy after the weigh-in the match had been over after the first 45 mins. Tommy weighed (Lbs-12ozs. Darrin 1 Lb-12ozs and Dougie 0Lb-4ozs. Bill didn't catch.

The bad news is that we are heading into a real cold spell of weather and there is no prediction when we will get fishing again. Watch this space for matches being advertised.

Tommy Lauriston.
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Re: Result Sunday Open 25th February 2018 Island Pond.

Postby DougieC » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:54 pm

Wish I had landed that big skimmer :doh!: well done Tommy :thumb
DougieC
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby John42 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:36 pm

Well done Tommy on winning well done framers no luck big bill wrong peg mate
John42
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby Daddy Cool » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:57 pm

Well done Tommy
Daddy Cool
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby Taffi » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:04 pm

Well done to all.
I will be watching the post for the matches. I'm ready for it. Get some practice in :dance :dance :dance
Tight lines , keep wet hands
Taffi
1lb Bream
1lb Bream

Postby Tommy L » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:41 pm

It was winter fishing Dougie, it was won at the draw.
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Tommy L » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:42 pm

Taffi wrote:Well done to all.
I will be watching the post for the matches. I'm ready for it. Get some practice in :dance :dance :dance

If the forecast is correct and we all hope it is not the fishing could be knocked on the head for the first couple of weeks in March Taffi.
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Return to Magiscroft Match Results