Result: All Scotland Rab Crossan Memorial 2012 27th May

Who won? Reports and Pictures. Discuss what went on and share your stories.

Result: All Scotland Rab Crossan Memorial 2012 27th May

Postby Tommy L » Sun May 27, 2012 7:11 pm

Click on Photographs to enlarge

Champion and Champion of Champions Qualifier.
champ.JPG

Team Champions
teams.JPG

Top 5 and MAOTY Points
1st.JPG

2nd.JPG

3rd.JPG

4th.JPG

5th.JPG

Weigh Sheets
Island.JPG

Main Loch.JPG

Woodside.JPG

Teams Scores
Teams scores.JPG

Match Report:

Sixty Two anglers turned out to fish the SFCA / Daiwa / JB Angling / All Scotland Rab Crossan Memorial annual match at Magiscroft Fishery where Rab was a member. Rab was an office bearer in the SFCA and Represented Scotland all over the world in Coarse Fishing so 62 anglers competing for a Trophy that bears his name is Awesome as per Rab's nickname 'Awsome Crossan.'

We have been waiting for it all year long a Sunday where the overnight temps from Saturday wasn't cold. Yes the red ball was alive and well in the sky bringing back the days of hot poles and hot under the collar fishing as the sun tanned all the competitors. The 2011 holder of the title was not listed to defend his trophy so there would be a new name on the Cup at the end of the match. 'Team Magiscroft' turned out to defend the Team Trophy that they won in 2011.

The match was fished from 11am till 4pm with the competitors drawing pegs on a open basis from the cup for pegs on Magiscrofts Island Pond, Woodside Pond and Main Loch Cafe bank. The atmosphere was electric as the best Coarse anglers in Scotland turned out to challenge their counterparts for the All Scotland Open trophy. The majority of both the Senior National team plus the Junior national team turned out along with anglers from Monklands, Orchill Central and Magiscroft Angling Clubs plus unattached anglers.

With the changes made to Magiscroft's Main Loch nobody knew where they wanted to draw as all three ponds were fishing well and these days can compete against each other. This year the formation of a Daiwa Team has added extra zest to all competitions as all the club teams want to beat them. Daiwa found them-self a man short at the draw and recruited Magiscroft expert Jimmy Hillhouse to fish for them.

When the all in was called it was Don MacLean on Main Loch Peg 20 who started real well catching 3 carp on the pellet waggler in the first 5 mins of competition to take a good lead. Mark Trueman was next to catch on Main Loch Peg 19 shortly followed by Davie McGregor on peg 18. For the first two hours Don held a good lead before Mark Trueman began to claw it back in the third hour.

As the match entered the fourth hour another angler current Scottish Internationalist Alan Connolly took to the waggler and was catching a better stamp of fish from peg 22 and began to as they say reel them in in more ways than one. The fish were moving about the Loch between Pegs 19 and 22 and a very competitive match ensued between Mark, Don and Alan. There was another Alan in the form of Alan Welsh pegged between them and why was he not catching. That answer is easy, he turned up to fish without bringing a rod. Welshy sussed it out and fished pellet up in the water on his pole in the last hour and caught a few carp.

With the Island not fishing up to it's usual standards due to the fish having their minds on other matters it was anyone's guess as to whether the Island Pond or the Woodside Pond would have the biggest weight after the Main Loch which was favourite to produce a few if not all the first 5 places which would bring the anglers Match Angler of the Year Points. With 16 of the Top 20 anglers competing the points on offer were treasured as the points on offer was 11 down to 7 for the top 5.

When the All-out was called it was clear that the waggler anglers on the Main Loch had walked away with good weights but as to who had the biggest weights it was not clear with Mark Trueman, Don MacLean and Alan Connolly certain of making up the top 3 places. As the scalesman made his weigh :think along the bank it was Davie McGregor on peg 18 that shot into the lead with 34Lb-1oz. Davie knew that the other three had all beaten him. Next to weigh was Mark Trueman on Peg 19 and he took the lead weighing 62Lb-4oz which finally gave him 3rd place. Next to weigh was Don MacLean on peg 20 who weighed 60Lb-13oz which gave him 2nd place at that stage and ended him up in third place.

The excitement built as Alan Connolly was certain that he had 60Lbs of fish and wouldn't confirm any higher estimate. Alan got a helper to pull his net from the water and his two weighs totalled 84Lb-2oz which is a New Magiscroft 5 hour record and Main Loch record. When the other ponds weighed it was established that Davie McGregor had secured 4th place with Match organiser Davie McAuley taking 5th place fishing Peg 22 on the Woodside weighing 30Lb-6oz.

At the results ceremony it was a fitting tribute that Rab Crossan's long term partner Jean McRobbie presented Alan Connolly and Team Magiscroft with their trophies. A great day all round and if you want to win anything you want to win it with style and that's what Alan Connolly did producing Pond and Fishery records. Also well done to Team Magiscroft for retaining their title by seven points from 2nd placed Daiwa. Central Orchill took third place.

Next Fed Match in two weeks time when the League fishes Matchday 2 of 4 at Orchill Fishery.

Tommy Lauriston
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Re: Result: All Scotland Rab Crossan Memorial 2012 27th May

Postby Tommy L » Mon May 28, 2012 12:16 am

Match Report Added. :thumb
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby toj » Mon May 28, 2012 3:30 am

Sounds like a brilliant day for everyone!

Much as I would have loved to have fished I had my own water-based fun, with a pond-dipping trip arranged at the nature pond my dad had constructed at his work in the mid 90s.

Along with a tribe of excited kids (and adults) I trooped along and scooped up all sorts of igglywicks from the pond, delighting when the great diving beetle larvae attacked the tadpoles in the sampling trays. Highlight of the trip was the capture of a common newt, all too rarely seen now!

Anyway, back to the fishing- what an awesome turnout and fitting tribute. Well done to the top anglers on some fantastic weights!
Fair weather angler
toj
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby andy prentice » Mon May 28, 2012 4:09 am

Well done all :clap was hoping to draw the main loch,but not to be,still i managed too have a wee swim in the island pond during the match,although not intended :oops: :thumb
When your right no one remembers.Yet,when you are wrong no one forgets....
andy prentice
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby dylan--3d » Mon May 28, 2012 8:33 am

well done great waights
dylan--3d
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby GERRY SMITH » Mon May 28, 2012 8:38 am

Looks like you all had an AWESOME day for an AWESOME Crossan.Some mighty weights from the main loch,things are looking good there. :clap Well done to young Alan for such a fine performance.Also well done to all who framed,and the MAGISCROFT for their fine team win. :clap
Wisdom is knowing when to speak,and when not to speak.Please give me wisdom.
GERRY SMITH
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby chris mccabe » Tue May 29, 2012 9:18 am

well done allan for an awesome performance on the main loch :clap :clap :clap :clap .
and well done the magiscroft team :clap :clap :clap .
andy prentice wrote:Well done all :clap was hoping to draw the main loch,but not to be,still i managed too have a wee swim in the island pond during the match,although not intended :oops: :thumb
well andy hope your all dried out for this sunday mate with the weather the way it is it shouldn't be a problem . :D :D :D :D :D :D dont worry andy it happens to us all at some time mate i did it before the last winter match and by the time the match was over my b&b was frozen from the knees down but still managed to win the match with 30lb of carp :D see you sunday.
Match fishing isn't a life or death situation its more serious than that
chris mccabe
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Tommy L » Thu May 31, 2012 11:40 pm

From Davie McAuley (FED Match Sec.)

Match Report

SFCA All Scotland Rab Crossan Memorial

The SFCA 2012 All Scotland Open in memory of Scottish match fishing legend Rab Crossan

was fished at Magiscroft on Sunday with a great attendance of 62 anglers taking part.

With the recent form of the Main Loch most of anglers hoped to draw the high numbered pegs

near the tree on the café bank as recent matches had provided weights to 50lb which most

thought would be enough to win on the day.

And true to form the individual Top 4 places came from this area with Alan Connelly (Orchill Central)

winning with a good net of carp for 84lbs 2oz on the pellet waggler. In 2nd place was Mark Trueman (Monklands A) 62lbs 4oz

with Don McLean (Orchill Central) in 3rd place with 60lbs 13oz again with good nets of carp taken on the pellet waggler.

On the team front the Magiscroft A team managed to successfully regain the title they won last year

with an excellent performance having 3 of their 4 members placed in the individual top 10 with 54pts

from Daiwa in 2nd place with 61pts and Orchill Central in 3rd place with 82pts.

The full match results can be found on the SFCA website http://www.sfca.co.uk

The next SFCA match will be the 2nd round of the Summer League on Sunday 10th June at Orchill Fishery.

David McAuley
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Return to Magiscroft Match Results