Result - New Year Open - 2nd Jan 08 - Island Pond

Who won? Reports and Pictures. Discuss what went on and share your stories.

Result - New Year Open - 2nd Jan 08 - Island Pond

Postby GG » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:55 pm

Colin Hart achieved an amazing feat by not only winning the New Year Open for the second year running ... he also broke another Magiscroft record for the second year running at the same time ! Congratulations to Colin who is on top form at the moment :mrgreen:

The Carp changed their minds from the last few weeks and fed only in the shallower pegs which played right in to Colin's hands on end peg 9 and William Stewart too on the other end peg 20. The rest of the 18 competitors were fishing a different match for silver fish .... but Colin could catch Carp regularly on Corn and loose-fed a kilo of pellets to keep them happy enough to build up his new Island Pond record catch.

1st Colin Hart - 64lb 14½oz
2nd William Stewart - 26lb 12oz
3rd James Woodrow - 8lb 6oz
4th Davie Corcoran - 7lb 13oz
5th Danny Griffin - 4lb 15oz

GG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Result - New Year Open - 2nd Jan 08 - Island Pond

Postby Tommy L » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:31 pm

Well what a day for the first sweep of 2008. Tuesday 2nd January 2008 a day to be remembered by one and that we will all be remembered of by the record books. With the tempreature hitting 4 degrees this morning it meant no ice crunching prior to the match.

The first downside to this morning was there was no breakfast munching. Us regular stalwarts of Magiscroft knew that and came prepared, not so our internationalist gymnast / athlete Davy ( Double somersault then Pole vault ) Corcoran who incidently has learned his lesson and remained on his peg all day without taking a break for a call of nature. Yes Davy was unaware that Freda was away and that her deputy Chris has been fired due to people constantly asking Freda " Where's my fried onions and Mushrooms " Davy being rather resourceful and hungry opted to take a packed lunch to his peg courtesy of the vending machine.

One think I have learnt over the past year is that there are anglers who can draw and ones who cannot, I class myself in the category of those who can't draw to save themself even though I have an 'O Level' in Art. Take today for example End Peg Woody failed to draw an end peg, how would that effect him I here you ask, not at all, the lad is a natural draw expert and drew the peg where the Tench were shoaled up blowing away to their hearts content in fact I have seen less bubbles in a jacussi than were tempoarily in front of Woody, I say temporarily not that the fished moved off, they were moved over the water into the Golden Childs net.

I managed to draw what I thought was a decent peg for me at number 26 we all know what thought did. Well Ronnie must have been listening to the moans of weeks before that he didn't run a match as well as Chris does. He had the draw made and everyone down onto their pegs by 9- 45am. Well I set about setting up the master plan to win the match as peg 26 had been a flyer in recent matches, how wrong was that idea. Anyways like others I had all the kit set up and ready to go by 1030am so time to sit and look around.

Big Davy C was pegged to my left and after listening to him moaning about the absence of Freda all morning I was glad to see the big man sitting on his seat box with a smile on his face as he devoured his packet of crisps. The smile got broader as Davy took out his Kit-Kat and looked about ensuring that everyone was jealous of him as he slowly unwrapped the paper from the biscuit. He then snapped the biscuit in half and that smile got broader as the crack echoed round the pond and everyone looked to see if Davy had broken his pole again, fooled them all was in his mind. He then slowly lifted the half of the Kit-Kat to his mouth in a manner that conveyed look what I've got. At that the other half of the Kit-Kat fell to the ground and as quick as a flash Jackie was onto it and ran off with it. Something will have to be done about Jackie, Del Boys Mars Bar one week Davys Kit-Kat the next week watch out Woody you breakfast is not safe.

The match got underway and it was obvious on my side of the pond that the Carp were not playing game in fact to the best of my knowledge they were not even there. I suspect this to be true as Big Davy wasn't catching any, me not catching any does not mean they are not there. Wasn't long before Woody was Tench bashing. With little happening I set my stall up to do a Brady as he did on Sunday go for the bits.

The news spread from the far side that the Carp were parked opposite Colin who knows a thing or two about New year matches as he broke the record on the Top Pond in 2007. Kept my head down bringing in those bits had taken a load of them well three and Big Davy was still to catch. As the day wore on heard Wee Jim proclaim from his peg on Colins side " That's the first time I have look round and Colins not playing a fish " Game set and Match the only thing that was at stake was how far Colin was push the new Island Record.

At that time I was going to look at my watch to see what time it was, I didn't need to because that tell tale sign we were two hours into the match was there for all to see as a Central Angler was walking up the hill with all his gear.

Young William Stewart started bagging up on our side of the pond but all in vain as Colin was considering using a second keep net by that time as his weight soared. About 2pm the old age pensioners Tea party got underway as an argument ensued as to who would buy the tea's and Coffee. No it wasn't the ramblers as they remembered Freda wasn't in today, it was Docherty Snr and wee Jim who were both on 16m pegs and decided it was time to have a break.

Not much else happened other than the Paste King and Paste Ye King made appearances to cheer everyone on. The match ended with Colin taking another record to add to his exclusive collection. We thought it was all over and the day would end without further incident, it did for everyone other tha The Golden Child. After the presentation of the cash our Woody went AWOL. Had he taken the huff that his shoal of Tench were a lot less than Colins shoal of Carp and went home, third place cash is of no use to Woody. After about 10 mins someone heard a little voice calling Help, Help, help me. Investigations reaveald that Our kid was locked in the toilet . A joiner was called for to realase Woody from his tempoary prison. Unfortunatly that joiner was the Paste King who's reply to Woody was Stuff you Arnold Clark are stalling repairing my van so you can stay their until i get my van back.

As I was leaving to go home Ronnie was successful in releasing Woody from the toilet and looked to his Golden child for a thanyou. That thankyou didn't come forth as Woody had had enough, third place, locked in the toilet he emerged with the words " enough is enough, I'm off to join Broom"

Another tale from the Magiscroft bank where things may have been twisted and exaggerated but all in fun and no malice meant.

Tommy L
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby GG » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:21 pm

bttt
GG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Del-boy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:02 pm

Hi Tommy, read your light hearted match report on the new year match. Thought it was first class and hope it's going to become a regular feature. Thing I'm confused about is how can you watch your float and take all this information in at the same time. Is this part of your training that makes you one of Strathclydes finest. Just a wee addition Tommy if this is going to become a regular feature just think of everyone who's going to be buying your breakfast and the like in the hope they'll get a mention on your forum Tommy. Not unlike work Tommy where the odd bribe is commonplace in your field of expertise. Ha ha ;) ;) :D :D :D My tax disc is up to date by the way
Del-boy
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Tommy L » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:04 pm

Del-boy wrote:My tax disc is up to date by the way

'Wee man' I know your tax disc is up to date as I checked it. ;) :D :D :D What I say in reply " Is your taxman up to date " nudge nudge wink wink and all that ;) :D :D :D
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Del-boy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:21 pm

Come on Tommy, away out and catch some real criminals like East European fish thieves or anglers who deliberately fish past the half-way marker (Doc senior springs to mind or even the fishery co-proprietor) and also the vending machine is forever swindling me out of money and I think Iain was 2 pinkies short when I purchased a pint recently. Away and do your duty man. :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Del-boy on Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Del-boy
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Doc » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:27 pm

Del-Boy, wee Tommy will be wishing it was as easy to get bites from carp :D :D :D
Some are more equal than others ....
Doc
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Tommy L » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:33 pm

Del-boy wrote: when I purchased a pint recently :D :D :D :D

Cheap round, the boys you were drinking with told me all about it. ;) :D :D :D
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp