Result - Barras Pleasure League 2nd round - 1st June 2008

Who won? Reports and Pictures. Discuss what went on and share your stories.

Result - Barras Pleasure League 2nd round - 1st June 2008

Postby Tommy L » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:22 pm

Section 'A'
1st Ben Maguire 11lb-8oz
2nd Whiskey Walker 4lb-9oz
3rd G Anderson 4lb-0.5oz

Section 'B'
1st Neil Chapman 5lb-12oz
2nd Judith Richardson 5lb-4oz
3rd Peter O'Neil 4lbs-1.5lbs

Section 'C'
1st Brian Docherty Snr 20lbs-3.5lbs
2nd Jim Hillhouse 19lbs-12.5lbs
3rd David Smith 13lbs-7oz

Section 'D'
1st G Black 16lbs-13oz
2nd James Dorman 14lbs-4.5oz
3rd G Owen 7lbs-13oz

Individuals
1st Brian Docherty Snr 20lbs-3.5lbs
2nd Jim Hillhouse 19lbs-12.5lbs
3rd G Black 16lbs-13oz

Teams
1st Lanarkshire 1 42pts
2nd All Blacks 41pts
3rd= Artful Codger 38pts
3rd= Airdrieonians 38pts
5th Team Stillwater 33pts

After 2 Rounds Scores
Teams
1st Lanarkshire 1 85pts
2nd All Blacks 79pts
3rd Team Stillwater 76 pts
4th Airdrieonians 72pts
5th Artful Codgers 71pts

Individuals
1st Brian Docherty Snr 26 pts
2nd G Black 25pts
3rd Matt Dunn 21pts

Everything to fish for in the third and final match.

Match report and photo's below. ;)
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Re: Result - Barras Pleasure League 2nd round - 1st June 2008

Postby Barryl » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:32 pm

life in the old doc yet ;)
Barryl
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby jrben_1 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:34 pm

getthe fottie up tommy :lol: dien for a peek
Junior Celtic Cup Winner .....2008
Scottish Junior Champion .....2009

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol ... onour.html
jrben_1
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Tommy L » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:03 pm

As those alarm clocks woke us up this morning I wonder how many had a quick peek out their curtain to see the sun shinning bright on a fishing day. Shorts were the order of the day or so some thought as anglers started arriving in the carpark. I went early today to get a good place in the breakfast queue. As I arrived at 8-15am the carpark was already half full and the McLeods were already busy in the emporium dispensing potions.

The Jailer was lying back relaxed in the corner of the Cafe with everything prepared to run smoothly in his usual fashion in the knowledge that he didn't require to fish on the day. For two days he resisted saying yes as he was entered in teams, asked to fish for teams etc etc.

With Federation Match anglers also putting in some practice the fishery was real busy as all the anglers assembled. as the sun shone bright plus the fact there was little wind some of the conversations were about who had forgot to bring their sunscreens along.

The barra's matches now in their second season certainly creates a great atmosphere at the fishery on the Sunday morning as the anglers get to know each other better. Friendships are made on the banks that will last forever. I follow the full weigh-in as it goes from section to section and those who fail to do so miss out on some fun. Fishing is not just about putting a line in the water, it's about what people caught during the alloted period and it should be made a must to weigh in at the end and attend the weigh-ins as it is all part of the sporting occasion. It's great to see in these competitions anglers fish it out to the end to make it a fair match for all.

Just when we are on this point and the fact that most of us are learner match anglers I will point out the following reason why anglers should finish all matches. When an angler fishing in competition packs up and goes he creates two end pegs creating an advantage for the anglers on both sides of him as the fish in his peg migrate both left and right to feed. results of matches have swung because of this in the past and that's the reason why it is not sporting to up sticks and leave. Also fish caught are re-introduced to the water. Brian Docherty Jnr caught the same 9lb ghostie twice last week on The Island Pond within the hour so fish will feed again after being caught.

Well the Draw neared and 'The Jailer' was told he was fishing by Jim Hillhouse due to the MM team being a woman short who was pulled out at 4-30am this morning by phonecall to 'The Doc'. He had a few choice words to say as he was deep into his beauty sleep and dreaming of being World Champion. Brian tells me that he does not know what happened and if he won or not as the phone woke him up. I asked what his weight was at the time the phone rang and he told me 140 lbs. I said that was quite a good weight Brian to which he informed me ' The last time I was 10 stone I was at primary school. Brian looked at the puzzled expression on my face before saying 'Slimmer of the year Tommy'

Anyways 'The Jailer' had resisted but when it comes to the fact that fellow sportsmens day would be ruined he did what Chris always does, gets mucked in. All those who had listened to The Jailers briefing in round 1 got their team sheets in early and were rewarded with the quick draw. As I walked down the hill in the blazing sunshine I followed Mr Hobard down the hill who was dressed in full bad weather gear. Mmm, I thought, looked at the sunshine and never consulted my trusty Metcheck. The draw this week separated myself and Roz this time so there was no chance of it being three in a row. when i got to my peg who is sitting directly across the water from me no other than Roz. This was my chance to sit and watch her all day to see what she does, strictly fishing. With Roz across the water and her Kenny to my left the match was never going to be dull or was it.

Dull it was as within the first hour the sun disappeared and the wind out of the East ( surprise, surprise ) got up. Kenny had turned up in his shorts without an umbrella or jacket. At one stage as the rain began to fall he went away telling me that he would be back in 5 mins. That 5 mins turned into a breakfast in the Cafe and a rummage through the car for warmer clothing. a bright green boiler suit topped with one of Roz's cardigans ( hope it is your cardigan Roz, appoligies to you if it was Kenny's ) At least the wee man looked warmer.

The main loch fished real hard today and there was not many fish coming out amongst the Barra's anglers. The highlight of the day was Young Ben Maguire playing an 8lb Carp. It was a PB and as the fight went past 20 mins Ben wasn't worth a button. In the spirt of The Barra's matches Ben was given plenty encouragement and managed to land his fish which was instrumental in him winning his section. well done Ben.

Up the Top Pond Papa Doc was romping it as he looked to find the non existant Ghostie's. After 2pm and for the last two hours Jim Hillhouse narrowed the gap as he had sobbered up. Another 10 mins and Jim would have won the match. The 'A' Team member on the top pond had left his fishing blues behind and was also having a great day with a catch of 8lbs-4.5oz for fourth place in his section. Well done Martin. ;)

On the farside bank of the Main Loch the fishing was real hard. Neil Chapman slogged it out fishing worm for his 5lb plus weight but came the weigh in was afraid of Judith's late charge when she caught a good sized Carp. Judith who had been ill up until today fished her best match in the last two years for a safe second place.

On the Island things were not all well. William Stewart was struggling health wise ( Was it a hangover ) and spent most of the day locked away in the Cafe. The guys in the long pegs struggled to get near the Island. Th junior James Doram took full advantage of his end peg and was in with a fight at the end. On Peg no 4 was Mr Black who manage to overcome the limits thrown at him to produce a 16lb-130z section win. This Ghostie was part of his catch.

The rain which was strong at time combined with the wind produced a cold afternoon but it didn't dampen the spirit on the banks. The following are a selection of the photographs on the day. Like last time the photo's inside were Carp so many deleted and the quality is poor. ( George, fill in Chappies photo thanks. )

Ben Maguire with his section winning catch.

Mr Black with his section winning catch.

Papa Doc with his section winning catch.

Chappie receiving his section winning pools.

James Dorman receiving his second place section pools.

Matt Dunn receiving Team winning Pools for Lanarkshire 1.

See how you done.

Big thanyou again to all who work behind the scenes to make this competition the success that it is. So you all next time on the bank.
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby hiabhero » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:21 pm

yet another cracking report tommy.Well done papa doc great catch and well done to young ben for his pb.Very nice fish.
Jamie

ps A TEAM creeping up the table can we extend the league by about 6 matches :lol: :lol: ;)
fishing is not a hobby its a lifestyle
hiabhero
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby martin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:16 pm

Great report as usual Tommy, like Kenny I was one of those suckered in by the weather, not quite as bad as Kenny because I don't look good in shorts so don't wear them but I did start the match in just a "T" shirt and only had a light jacket in my carryal plus my brolly was lying in the back of the car, by the time I realised that the rain had set in and wasn't going away I was to wet to bother about going for my brolly, plus I would have had to disturb all the other anglers on the bank to get past so I ender up very wet and very cold.

Jamie, think we need a few more than 6 matches to get us up the league but 6 will do for starters :lol: :lol:
martin
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby jrben_1 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:08 pm

great report tommy. cheers to darren and willie for there help while i was playing it. after i saw it for the first time i didnt know if it was the nerves or the cold that made me shake so much but it sertainly stayed for at least another hour after netting it. was so pleased as i set THREE personal records. one the biggest fish i've ever caught two biggest match weight and 3 (if i can call it a win) my first ever win :D over the moon 8-)

at first when i drew i thought it was a bad draw as i was so used to fishing the far bank due to the junior matches but then after getting a few ide on the go i seen myself sitting comfortably in the top ten. then as the rain started hammering down and most anglers stopped catching steadily i decided to come inside and try some worm. instand success as a small 1 pound cap hit it on the drop i thought i ws going to bump myself back up the leader board. my usual luck was then starting to kick in as my whole swim went dead. i tryed everything i had with no success so i decided to go and get a cup of tea at the cafe where i met willie in his death bed. i asked how he was fishing and a few mumbeled words came out and i managed to piece together that harry had a few and he had 3 roach and had finished fishing.

after recovering i returned to my peg where i seen darren blow a gasket as he got a mega tangle on a paste line.
"thats it" he said
"ive had enough" as i threw in a handfull of maggot into the margin and flicked my shallow rig with single maggot into the margin. as i turned to tolk to darren i seen the boy on the end peg hit into a nice fish and knew my chances of winning was over. i looked at the ground then flicked some maggots over my float as it slowly sank away. JUGEN i thought at first before about 3 meters of my elastic started heading for the far bank. as i drastically put all my pole together i estimated a 5 pound fish as i had only an 8 elastic. luckily i had changed to this that morning after being fitted with a 3 latex which would have probily cost me another half hour. my god :!: i thought as my full pole was now out and the fish still going.

instantly darren was behind me saying take your time thats a big fish. i knew it was my biggest but didnt think it was as big as i found out. it ran in circles then charged for the margins again. darren then sarcasticaly said
"want me to net it" as it came to the surface and i reallised it was over my gessed 5 pound. the heart started going like a train as darren then said
"i think its double figures."
to be honest that didnt help my nerves atoll as it took another run for the middle of the loch. i turned round to see ronnie and willie with a few others watch from the cafe and my nerves then got the better of me and the old shakes started coming. the first 15 mins went past as it kept running back and forth as willie now joined me and darren said ill be back in half an hour :lol: . again round and round it went and still couldnt manage to even think about netting it. then with four sections up in the air its head came up and it slipped over the net. i tryed to shiip the net back but simply couldnt because i had no strenth in my arms. it was the biggest fish i've ever seen let alone cought. a few quick pics and i slipped it into the keep net and took a brever. thank god for that as daren said section winner by far as a huge grin grew over me. the scales came round and my weight went to 11 and a bit pound. was delighted as a few guys said well done. now fingers crossed i get a few next week in the junior national ;)the fish was around 8 pound so not the doublee i hoped for but still my pb and a cracking fish :D

p.s and again darren thanks for the net :!: after my net head fell off i thought i was doomed but thanks to you i managed to get it in and be £24 pound richer

magiscroft juniors will be top 3 :!: just waight and see

jrben_1
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Doc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:57 pm

Well done to all those who took part yesterday, particularly young Ben on a cracking fish, Chappy, papa doc and Mr Black on there section wins and Lanarkshire for another brilliant team performance.

Having said all that can i bring up the 13m rule again, whilst i have heard the arguements that not everybody has a 14.5 or 16m pole, if this rule is to be implemented can it not be pegged in such a fashion that everybody can reach the island, be that on the top pond or island pond :?:

It seems to me that by allowing half the section on the island pond to be able to reach the island whilst the other half cannot is simply unfair ... likewise as i understand it there were a couple of anglers in a similar position on the top pond. Certainly those anglers pegged 1-4 on the island all had a pole capable of reaching the island, although i cant speak for those on pegs 5-7, but sat watching the reeds which were obviously alive with fish they were unable to get within a couple of meters of :doh!: :cry: :cry:
Some are more equal than others ....
Doc
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby the governor » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:00 pm

Gary won on a wide peg with no chance of reaching the island on the island pond, go figure.
"Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit ."
the governor
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby Doc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:06 pm

No disputing that Chris, he fished a smashing match, i think all on the tip, a brilliant performance :D And i am not suggesting that those pegged 1-4, or for that matter you on 5 would have beaten him even if we had been allowed to fish over to the Island ... but i would have a right good bet on that we would all have caught a few more fish ;) Which in what is a novices event it is all about ;)
Doc
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby hiabhero » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:08 pm

Doc wrote:No disputing that Chris, he fished a smashing match, i think all on the tip, a brilliant performance :D And i am not suggesting that those pegged 1-4, or for that matter you on 5 would have beaten him even if we had been allowed to fish over to the Island ... but i would have a right good bet on that we would all have caught a few more fish ;) Which in what is a novices event it is all about ;)

were you on 5 chris i didnt notice :o :D :) ;)
fishing is not a hobby its a lifestyle
hiabhero
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby Doc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:14 pm

Forgot to say earlier, well done to the Grim Reaper ... cracking result mate ;) I told you you should have had a pound on with Tommy :lol: :lol:
Doc
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby jrben_1 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:16 pm

i agree doc. last year at the junior national i was peged 5 with davie anderson 7 or eight. i was left fishing in the middle of the pond getting blades while he had enough to swing a line to the island. why not make it the right side where everyone can reach the island at 13mtrs. the top pond though is tiny and there isny really enough space to fit everyone to a 13 mtr peg but most pegs are and all half the fish are down the side in the margins

jrben_1
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby whiskey » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:12 am

it was my first taste of the barras pleasure league and what a good time i had :lol: :lol: :lol: but i do have to agree about the pole limit,we are here to catch fish so why stop people catching them!!!! there are pegs where you need a pole longer than 13 mtrs i.e the early pegs on the island pond and a couple on the top pond and for what i saw on the bank the poles that was being set up all could go to 14/5 and in most cases 16 mtrs so let people reach the fish and stop the island pond being so peggy
whiskey
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby darren » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:51 am

not everybodys got 16mter of pole so the rules let ppl have a good chance winning a match anyway its the rulues its what its all about its a chllange to the angler cant have it easy mate come on now
the scottish carp group/sfca
darren
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby darren » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:54 am

well done buddy in your first match win and that carp is a cracker
jrben_1 wrote:getthe fottie up tommy :lol: dien for a peek
the scottish carp group/sfca
darren
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Craig P » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:09 pm

If you know the rules before you enter a competition then you have to accept them once you're in. Maybe next year the limit could be changed but reality is it effects 4-5 anglers out of 72 and only if they have 16 m poles so probably only 2-3 at most.

What I find disgraceful is that Mr Lauriston is not mentioning his attempted wind up before the draw by saying that Silverfish was making an appearance for SPRA1. Surely this sort of dishonesty from the polis cannot be tolerated. Is there not an ombudsman we can complain too. ;) :lol:
Craig P
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby Tommy L » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:37 pm

GWSCFA wrote:If you know the rules before you enter a competition then you have to accept them once you're in. Maybe next year the limit could be changed but reality is it effects 4-5 anglers out of 72 and only if they have 16 m poles so probably only 2-3 at most.

;) :lol:

Maths was never your strong point at school, was it Craig. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :doh!:
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Tommy L » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:40 pm

GWSCFA wrote:
What I find disgraceful is that Mr Lauriston is not mentioning his attempted wind up before the draw by saying that Silverfish was making an appearance for SPRA1. Surely this sort of dishonesty from the polis cannot be tolerated. Is there not an ombudsman we can complain too. ;) :lol:

Hook , Line and Sinker then ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Doc » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:45 pm

I wish you had as many bites after the draw Tommy :lol: :lol: ;)
Doc
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Next

Return to Magiscroft Match Results