Result - Monday Evening Open - Main Loch 30th June 2008.

Who won? Reports and Pictures. Discuss what went on and share your stories.

Result - Monday Evening Open - Main Loch 30th June 2008.

Postby Tommy L » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:54 pm

Magiscroft 3 Hour Match Record Splashed out of sight by Ian Whitson.

On a very wet night when the rain poured down for the majority of the match Ian didn't have time to realise it was raining as he caught Carp after Carp on the Waggler. Ian was so busy casting, catapulting and reeling in Carp that he had no idea what his finishing weight would be other than heavy.

1st Ian Whitson 63lbs-3.5oz ( Magiscroft 3 Hour match record. )
2nd Gary McKay 17lbs-7oz
3rd Kevin Murphy 14lbs-2oz

Ian's fish could not be accomodated in the weigh sling and had to be weighed in two lots.

A big well done to Ian from all his fellow competitors in the match. The spectators witnessed a special display on the farbank of the Main Loch tonight. Match report to follow.
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Re: Result - Monday Evening Open - Main Loch 30th June 2008.

Postby xbrvhrtx » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:05 am

Fantastic result, look forward to hearing all about it :D :D :D
The last time Mr. T went to McDonald's, Ronald McDonald greeted him. What occurred next proved to be the most violent beating of a clown ever recorded in human history.
xbrvhrtx
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby Tommy L » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:57 pm

Match Report:

With 'Judas Brady' ( His words not mine, he added the Brady ) back from Englandshire where he won the title 'Bottom Jock' at 'The Oakes' we all wondered if he would have the audacity to turn up at his club fishery after abandoning the second team high and dry. Whilst away Del had done a lot of soul searching discovering he didn't have a soul. Tired and weary from his weekends exploits as he had caught 6 Carp in the half to 1 lb range that had wrecked all the elastics in his top kits and left his arms aching from the ferocious battles to land them. Never one to be down for long he fished The Island Pond during Monday afternoon to prepare for The Monday Night match, wrong. It appears that The Wee Man ( Don't know if this name still applies given his recent exploits in the woods at Magiscroft ) is hooked on the yellow vermin having caught half a dozen over the weekend. He has changed all his elastics to number 4 and was paste fishing for The Carp in practice for a return to 'The Oakes' where he proposes to target 2lb Carp to win the title 'Top Jock'

Having had 10 calls from Del Friday, 15 calls Saturday as he attempted to justify his absence on the Sunday the phone lines had went cold as there was no calls Sunday or Monday enquiring into the outcome of his former teamates. The waiting game was getting too much so I phoned him at 2pm to see how he got on at 'The Oakes' 'Tommy, just playing a fish, this Carp fishing is great, have to go, if your fishing tonight I will see you then' he then hung up on me avoiding the obvious questions that would be posed.

I made it to the fishery at 4-30pm and as I arrived The Wee Man was struggling carrying his gear along the far bank from The Island Pond. His head was down and Frieda was at the top of the hill giving him pelters offering to come down and help him carry his gear. On that subject of carrying equipment back up from the Far Bank of the Main Loch I witnessed a travesty on Sunday which I ignored and never mentioned as I thought it was a one off where a club pensioner and a young lady guest were bullied out of getting their equipment transported up the hill on the buggy. I have a rant to make but more of that later in the report in order that I have time to calm down. Everyone who fishes Magiscroft matches will require to make a stand together, we may not be pensioners yet but if this youngster ( Still to start shaving ) is allowed to get away with it, it may be your turn like it was my turn Monday evening. ' Magi Anglers say no to Buggy Hogging '

As the anglers assembled for the match I expected the subject up for discussion would have been the use of the splash waggler. After the previous match and in the knowledge that this weeks match would be on The Main Loch ' The Monklands Two' ( Ferguson and Whitson ) had brought up the topic of splash wagglers and suggested they should be banned. I then suggested that if that was the case, I would like pellet fishing banned. Del chipped in that he would like fishing for fish over an ounce banned. Anyways the subject wasn't broached prior to the match as 'Fergie' was absent and Ian knows how to fish the splasher when he has to. After the draw Ian was pleased that the waggler was an option on the day. Woodrow again failed to draw an end peg and the head was down right away. The end pegs were the selections of Colin ( caught the Carp that Whitson missed ) Skeel and Colin ( The beard ) Kerr. Could they continue the end peg dominance of Monday night matches that Colin ( Two nets ) Hart had ended the previous week on The Island Pond.

It was dry when we made our way to our pegs, heavy rain was forecast and we all hoped that the weatherman had got it wrong as usual,. No chance as the dark clouds gathered at the Railway end of the Main Pond and I'm not talking about Papa Doc, Jim Hillhouse or Dave Smith who had came to watch. I set up my gear and walked along to see Ian who had at the last moment decided to set up a waggler just in case. As I stood with Ian watching the Carp swimming about in front of his peg with their large fins up out the water Ian had convinced himself that they were in Colin Skeel's swim, think not. I returned to my peg just prior to 'Two Nets' Colin the all-in. I turned to pick up my cupping kit as 'Splasher Whitson's' float hit the water and there was a resounding yell from him as it went right under followed by the splashing as he landed his first fish. There was I not an ounce of ground bait in the water as were all others and we were already 4lbs behind 'The Splasher'.

By the time most anglers settled down to some serious fishing Whitson had three Carp in the keep net for about 10lbs a total of which more than 50% of the field would not make during the three hours. To say there was a lot of splashing going on was an understatement. My tactics at that time were to continue using the splash waggler after the anglers either side stop using that method. Tony Ball and 'The Calamity Kid' were keen to get the Carp started on the waggler and the usual 10 mins turned into 30 mins. I was first to stop and try the paste. As my float settled if it ever did as there was lots of fish over my ground bait and the paste was landing on top of them. The bad thing was that they were all small fish including skimmers. It took me 15 minutes to hit a bite and it was a skimmer. As I got into the swing of things I began to hook into the Carp. I couldn't help comparing myself to The Barrow Boy as I landed 4 Carp for a grand total of one pound. Mother nature then took over and started crying as her tears started falling down on us. I took the silly decision to ignore her, not to set up a brolly and got soaked.

At that time 'Splasher Whitson' had a large crowd behind him sheltering in the tree's as he hit the 30lbs mark without slowing. Ian was record chasing, the three hour record stood at 45 lbs and was achievable it the bites or self hooking didn't slow down. Ian had caught so much fish that he hadn't a clue what weight he had achieved. Gary McKay fishing to Ian's right was also catching on the waggler but couldn't keep up with the asking rate of 21 lbs per hour. The rain got heavier which signalled another bout of splash wagglers launched into the pond. With half an hour to go I reverted to the paste and the small fish had moved away and I could present the float in a decent manner. It was not long before the bigger Carp moved in and I caught a couple of decent sized ones prior to the all-out which was at 9-30pm.

Ronnie had came to the bank about 9-15pm with the buggy to change over the bins and to take up some of my gear as arranged as I had been fishing for over a week and at my age tiredness had set in. If you cannot look after the elderly members on the fishery it's a bad day and I seized Ronnie's kind offer with open hands. The changing over of the bins was a bad move. Firstly for as Ronnie walked along the bank the bins rattled ten to the dozen, good job 'GG' wasn't fishing with a noise similar to a heard of Bison passing the anglers backs. Secondly Ronnie apologised in that he would only be able to take my holdall up as there was a bin in the buggy. 'No problem Ronnie, every little helps at my age'

The weigh in started at ' The Beards' end or should I say the peg next to him, did he catch fish, we will never know as he was up to skulduggery but we didn't know it at that time. His absence at the weigh in was there for all to see, what he was up to wasn't. As all the other anglers took part in the weigh in which is all part of the occasion to weigh in what you catch and see what the others catch all good fun and most of the patter comes out. Walshy even took the time to weigh in his 8oz of fish and well done to him as he is getting used to Magiscroft and already has 'The Beards' scalp on his belt. As the weigh in progressed along the bank 'The Fishing Gods' were good to 'Judas Brady' not in the fact that they allowed him to catch 4lbs of fish, it was the fact that they had brought along 'The Beard' to the fishery who transgressions not his fishing took the weight of the pen of 'The Wee Mans' back diverting the attention from him for once. Enough said at this point as this report is all about one anglers first class display on the day, I weighed in 6lbs-2oz of fish. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As we got to Kevin Murphy the weights started to increase and Kevin had double figures and all were fish caught by traditional methods on the Pole. Well fished young man. It wasn't Kevin's night as my camera batteries ran out as I went to take his photograph with a fine net of silvers. At that point I left the weigh in party to go and change the batteries and whilst doing so thought someone was attempting to steal the buggy. I took at second glance having thought I saw a dark creepy figure skulking in the shadows. I ignored it and was in time for Gary McKay to produce a fine net of fish for what turned out to be second place. Gary refused to have his photograph taken as he knew that Ian had fish that far exceeded his weight.

At last what everyone was waiting to see other than one angler who was missing. As Ian brought his net from the water he struggled to walk up the bank. As Ron waited there we asked if the scales could cope with the fish and the answer was a big yes bring them on as the scales can take any weight. Unfortunately the weigh net couldn't take all the bulk as the fish wouldn't fit in. The stamp of the fish was tremendous as another keep net was sent for to temporarily house some of the Carp. With two weighs a new Magiscroft 3 hour record was set at 63lbs-3.5oz and congratulations rained in on Ian from all but one fellow competitor and the spectators for a match well fished from pillar to post.

It was then on to Colin Skeel who only had the one Carp that Ian had somehow let escape, in the spirit of the competition he weighed it in to scalp 'The Beard'. As the weigh party walked along the bank all laughing and joking having enjoyed a great night amongst friends on the bank Ronnie said that he would be along in a moment to collect my holdall. I set about packing the holdall in preparation. A few minutes later I heard 'The Beard' calling out ' Get it up you Tommy, my gears already loaded on the buggy' Livid, the words that came from my mouth could not be repeated on this family forum. I even spotted Tony Ball taking a step back as I let rip as 'The Beard' For the second day running he had without asking loaded his gear onto the buggy preventing the fisheries elderly anglers the assistance they had asked for and had been awarded. As my barracking of 'The Beard' got stronger and stronger I had to smile at Tony as he looked as if he was in the middle of World War 3. Papa Doc had to grab me and clam me down as 'The Beard' came along towards me. As he neared he turned and walked away saying he was going to carry some of my gear up the hill for me but not now after some of the names he was called.

I hurriedly packed my gear, life is too short, if the youngsters want to be underhanded in getting their gear up the hill so be it, the exercise will do me good. I rushed up to see the presentation and 'Heartbreak Hill' I didn't notice due to the adrenalin pumping in my veins. As I got to the top 'The Beard was standing having watched me pull my trolley all the way up the hill. He took a hold of my trolley and helped me pull it to the car. He obviously felt some remorse did our 'Wan'. ( May have to moderate and delete the last nickname for 'The Beard' . )

It was a great nights fishing putting the weather aside and great to be there as another record was created at Magiscroft. By the way Mr Kerr, all is forgiven and I'm certain you will do the same again given the chance. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: Well done Ian Whitson, this will give Daren a target to aim at next week.

Next weeks match will again be on the Main Pond, 5-15pm draw, 6-15pm All-In. Everyone welcome. ;)
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby 2008-fishing » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:48 am

nice catch m8 ;) theres a lot of carp there !
2008-fishing
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby Declan » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:04 pm

ian what did you catch them on ??
Declan
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby GG » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:18 pm

Declan wrote:ian what did you catch them on ??

I gather it was hair rigged pellet, either 6mm or 8mm.
GG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Magiscroft Match Results