Result - Sunday Sweep - Main Loch Sunday 13th July 2008.

Who won? Reports and Pictures. Discuss what went on and share your stories.

Result - Sunday Sweep - Main Loch Sunday 13th July 2008.

Postby Tommy L » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:54 pm

1st Brian Dcocherty Snr 25lbs-12oz

2nd William Stewart 22lbs-5oz

3rd Garry McKay 14lbs-30z

Weigh-in sheet.

Interesting onlooker at the weigh-in.

Match Report to follow.
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Re: Result - Sunday Sweep - Main Loch Sunday 13th July 2008.

Postby Tommy L » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:29 pm

Match Report:

With an outbreak of 'PapaDocittus' during the end of May, June and July at Magiscroft eight of our usual suspects fled to Englandshire to try their luck at 'The Oaks'. Gone were three Scottish International anglers and the Lanarkshire President elect 'Jocky for the day McBrady' looking to earn some cash south of the border as over the past 8 weeks ' PapaDocittus' had hit their pockets hard.

As alarm clocks sounded in homes throughout Scotland and the Cockrel crowed in Eastfield anglers woke up to the 1st and Last day of the Scottish Summer. There was a God and for one day this year the weather forecasters had got it right. Without a care in the world as the sun was shinning I took my time making the paste loading the car and selecting eight worms out of the two Killo's I had brought from England last month. Still no sign of them breeding yet, bit concerned that my investment of 22 shiny pounds will not last me the planned twenty years.

When I got to the fishery at 9am straight away I was attacked by 'PapaDocittus' who rushed over asking what time was this to turn up having arranged the match. I fended it off saying "Okay I won't fish" and that was the equivalent of me taking a dose of penicilin as it backed off right away due to the threat of five pounds being deducted from the winning purse. For those who don't know 'PapaDocittus' is a virus that strikes anglers late in life, the first detectable sign that it has struck is verbal, sufferers are seen to be running around after 'Ronnie' shouting " Ronnie they are doing this" or " Ronnie they are doing that " the medical name for this condition is " Clubittis Clipeittis "

A quick check on the numbers showed that there were twelve fishing the match and after some deliberation by the 'Pellet Millionaire' as to how many splasher pegs he could fit in along the 'Far Bank' he pegged it from 30 to 41 for a guarantee selling one hundedweight of 8mm pellets. With 'Woodrow on an End Peg' away at the Oaks that left two enders to be drawn for. Kyser drew the 30 and 'William of the Second Places' drew 41 which was the favoured downwind end. To say wind was a great exaggeration slight cooling breeze was more fitting and very welcome as the sun beat down on our backs onto the Lake and reflected back up into our faces.

This weeks guests were Colin McKerrell from Central and Jeff from Edinburgh and we were also joined by Harry and James members of the Junior Scotland Team soon to travel to Wales to represent their country in the Junior Celtic Cup. As it says on the tin the competition was Open and with Jim Hillhouse in attendance having spent his golden peg earnings from the previous week on a new rod to facilitate better splashing anyone could win even myself having splashed my way to 40lbs the previous day in practice.

As the All-In was called it looked like a scene from the Dam busters as various sizes and shapes of wagglers struck the waterfrom one end of the match to the other. Kyser having an end peg was first to stop and go for the silvers a wise move on his part. Colin McKerrell another Ide expert had the Ide topping in his peg with his use of clever feeding as well as firing out the pellets. I heard a gasp from him as he was about to change over to hunt the Ide as he got a bite on the pellet decisions decisions, it's not easy having several strings to your bow in the world of coarse fishing. I'ts even harder being Tommy L on a bad day, lets face it, it's hard being Tommy L even on a good day.

One hour in and the word on the bank was that Kyser had done 7lbs of silvers which was a great start. ' William the Second' unlike 'Kyser' had failed to take advantage of his end peg and defend his inside line by staying out on the Spasher too long. Pegged next to "PapaDocittus' William had a hard job and being the silent type the conversation must have been good as the aged pensioner recited the woe's of the world to the youngster.

My match by that time was going downhill fast, over stating again, going down the gentle slope fast would be more appropriate. Having broke my expensive Splasher on the Saturday which was still undergoing repair, I only went and cast off the not so expensive replacement with no spare in stock. Match rules didn't allow me to go and buy another to replace it or to swim out into the Lake to recover it so I was left sitting on my box in a very dangerous condition know as 'Tommy L thinking' just how dangerous that is ask others, OAPs from Deepest Lanarkshire have to defend my fellow club members ( For now and I'm not being poached) when my thoughts are put into words on the net.

By the end of the second hour 'PapaDocittus" was attacking deep in the water and steadily, 'William the Second' had swallowed his medicine and was silver fishing and had the big guns aimed on his left flank. He could have built a brick wall but still would have had to listen about the price of petrol, price of bread and 100 reasons why pensioners should be able to travel on public transport for free. Add to that a moan about the 'Lord Kerr' whos fishing gear is transported by Ronnies buggy from car to peg and back again by servants and then we have 'PapaDocittus' working away on William for the remainder of the match. Could William survive only the scales would tell.

In the Mid Pegs on the Piers, ( could have said seaside but if that got around Ronnie would be putting up the price to fish for his pets from those pegs ) Jim Hillhouse and myself were enjoying the break in the weather sunbathing as we definately wern't fishing. The Paste was working well, smeared onto our arms and faces it was a real good suntan cream, it was the only use for paste on Sunday which made us the right colour to match our performances on the day. The Silver anglers were now finding it hard to get the bites at Kysers end. It got so bad that Kyser had to catch a 6lb Carp to keep his weight turning over, don't see that much Kyser with Carp in his net. Jim Jones was left thinking of what might have been having opted to give the Oaks a miss. We all knew that Del was fishing well in Englandshire as there was not even a text to find out how the match was going, then again if rumours are true, he may have been texting Orchill enquiring as to how the match up there was going. If he did he would have found out that it was his Minder who was out in front.

It was hard to judge how the match had went as Ronnie hadn't done his usual patrols of the bank. He had opted to sit up on the 'Ronnie Falls Patio' ( Will the fence ever be repaired ) with a smug smile on his face as pellets rained down on his Main Lake. He was heard to say ' The Splash Waggler ' was the best method ever invented, not for fishing but for ' Pellet Millionaires ' As the Scalesman made his weigh ( Pun ) along the bank starting with Kyser the excitement mounted. Kyser held the lead with 14lbs plus until the plight of matchmen for the last 10 weeks weighed in ' PapaDocittus' with 25lbs plus. That only left 'William 11' to attempt to put an end to the virus. The scales came up short at 22lbs plus so the most popular pensioner at Magiscroft ( The only one ) had continued his winning run as he strives to supplement his pension.

Papa Doc had turned up with one thing in mind to win and stuck to it throughout the day and dug deep to eek out another victory. William the Second who fished well again learned from his error in the first hour and surely it's just a matter of time before he become 'William 1' A good day all round with weights spread along the bank. Again as in all matches the end pegs did very well.

Next week the Open Sweep will again be pegged on the Far Bank of The Main Lake.

Tight lines.
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Re: Result - Sunday Sweep - Main Loch Sunday 13th July 2008.

Postby Barryl » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:49 pm

Brilliant Tommy
Barryl
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Return to Magiscroft Match Results