Result - Monday Evening Open - Main Loch 14th July 2008.

Who won? Reports and Pictures. Discuss what went on and share your stories.

Result - Monday Evening Open - Main Loch 14th July 2008.

Postby Tommy L » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:07 pm

1st James Woodrow 8lbs-2oz

2nd Kevin Murphy 3lbs-11.5oz

3rd Derek Brady 2lbs-13.5oz

Match report to follow.
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Re: Result - Monday Evening Open - Main Loch 14th July 2008.

Postby Tommy L » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:31 pm

With the Holiday periods well under way and the Jocks all having been down South for the weekend some had to show commitment to their better halfs and didn't get out to play. Add to that the dodgy overcast weather it resulted in the numbers being low. Six attended that included 'Woody End Peg' and ' I'm Magiscroft through and through till the day I discovered the Oaks and Paste McBrady'

With only six the options as where to peg the match were numerous. Didn't matter to me where it was pegged as I would be assured of fishing pegs 36 or 37 Farbank even if it was the Top pond. It's that bad that even in the Junior matches I have to haul my grandsons gear there. Peg 6 on the Island Pond in winter is a distant bad memory now it's got that bad. It was decided that it would be Pegs 33 to 38 making my odds 1 in three to draw 36 or 37, when it comes to drawing I am more consistant than Woody, he got an endpeg for the first time in a month I got 36, have to say the better option as it has a bhoy in it.

The match started at 6-15pm ( remember 6pm next Monday ) There were no sign of fish topping and little eveidence of the larger silvers feeding up in the water. I set my stall out from the start to do a Pappa Doc with back up paste lines for when the ducks came calling. Armed with a spare splash waggler I set about my strategy. Only one indication in the first 30 mins so a quick look at the paste lines where small fish were nibbling all night long.

Lord Oaksy was pegged to my right and started up in the water for his bits having extolled the virtues of paste fishing all evening prior to the match starting. He who wants to move to the Thirsk or Sessay area ( Has he told Moira of his plan, I bet not , then again it may be closer to the Barony ) was catching bits rattling into the lead on 4 oz in the first hour. It was obvious from the start that one good fish could win the match and my intention was to hang out there on the splasher in hope. That was until for the second match running I cast the splasher off again. A quick check revealled that it was the float connector that was at fault. I went to replace it and discovered that I had given my last ones away to kids on the bank on Saturday and couldn't find a replacement. For two days in a row my luck was terrible, paste it was for the remainder of the night.

As the match went on I managed to catch a Carp about 1 lb and net it without Del seeing it, I had taken out all his silvers with one fish or so I thought. I was pestered all night with the little fish and managed to strike into a roach 1 inch long on a number 12 hook to increase my weight. Woody had a few net fish as did Kevin on the other end peg and unless large Carp appeared up the bank the match was over for me. With an hour to go Del thought it was time to present his new found paste fishing skills to the fish. Not so easy in Scotland on the Main Lake Del, more practice required.

Myself I managed another small Carp and with Del declaring 2 lbs my match was over as you have to add on half of that again in his case at best. As suspected the result with winner takes all was between the two younsters with Woody being the winner. Not the best of nights but fishing is fishing there is always next week.

Well done to all who took part, thanks to Del for the updates on The Oaks and all the banter from the tour and to Dave Smith for the outcome of the Lanarkshire match. Please give us reports to share with all on the forum.

Tight lines.
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Return to Magiscroft Match Results