Result - Monday Evening Open - Island Pond 21st July 2008.

Who won? Reports and Pictures. Discuss what went on and share your stories.

Result - Monday Evening Open - Island Pond 21st July 2008.

Postby Tommy L » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:46 pm

1st James Woodrow 45lbs-1oz

2nd Tony Ball 25lbs-10oz

3rd Drew McLuskey 20lbs-5oz

Weigh Sheet.

Point of interest: George, is this a new Island Pond 3 hour record. ;)

Match Report to follow.
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Re: Result - Monday Evening Open - Island Pond 21st July 2008.

Postby GG » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:22 pm

Point of interest: George, is this a new Island Pond 3 hour record. ;)

Tommy, yes it is :D :D :D . I'll need to update the match records page .... see here -

http://www.magiscroft.com/matches/matchrecords.htm

Well done Woody ... How did you catch :?: :D

Cheers
George
GG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Barryl » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:53 pm

Well done Woody and not off an end peg :roll: how big was that barbel it looks huge :?:
Barryl
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby martin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:36 am

Well done Woody, great result. Look forward to reading the match report Tommy.
martin
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby william » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:38 pm

welll done woody :D beat my record :cry: :o
william
1lb Bream
1lb Bream

Postby hiabhero » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:35 pm

well done woody, cracking catch,just shows you what can be done without being on an end peg :D maybe thats your pyschological jinx shot down in flames :lol: :lol:
happy new magi record mate
Jamie
fishing is not a hobby its a lifestyle
hiabhero
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby Colin_K » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:33 pm

Cracking catch there Woody. All that Oaks practice serving you well.
Colin_K
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby SilverFish » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:11 pm

I didnt know that was the record nice one :D

I caught up to the far bank at 15m feeding 2mm pellets every put in fishing a 4mm pellet on the hook

The barbel was about 2lb

Colin i fished like i have been trying at the oaks but unlike the oaks when the float went under i lifted into a properly hooked carp and landed it :o as opposed to lifting into a foul hooked carp having it scream through the peg and then come off again and again and again :doh!:
SilverFish
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby Tommy L » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:00 pm

Match Report:

With the return of the Monday night Open to The Island Pond the numbers of contestants rocketed. Sixteen anglers turned up to contest the match which was pegged from peg 18 clockwise round to peg number 5 ommiting pegs 27 and 1 to prevent sword fencing with poles. The sun had beamed down on the fishery throughout the day and as everyone arrived the skies became overcast and the rain was not far away.

With the draw back to 5pm the last to arrive was Del who had been up at Edinburgh zoo 'Swimming with the Penguins', I said surely the Dolphins which is theraputic, Del's reply was 'Penguins , their slower and I can beat them to the fish' At that point I noticed that the wee man was carrying only what can be described as a femine sky blue coloured bag with him, claiming it was a freezer bag. Nah it couldn't have contained, could it.

Additional guests this week was the Lanarkshire Minder sent along by Wee John to make sure Del was okay, nah it wasn't Kenny it was Matt who was pegged to my left telling me throughout the match he was going to take me out. Scared you bet I was, I had an operation to the cartiledge of my left knee 20 years ago and the thought of Matt sticking the head on my knee really bothered me.

On the subject of minders Ian Whitson had returned from abroad and had brought an assistant to help in the form of Big Darren. The Monkland Boys are taking fishing real serious with bank runners for Monday night matches. Central were also represented in the line up by Tony ' Argh' Ball. The evening was constantly punctuated with 'Arghs' and 'Woahs' as Tony placed Carp in his keepnet. Drew McLuskey also made another appearance to the Island matches as did SPRAS Docherty Jnr and the Monster Brokie.

When the draw was over it was Drew and Tony who had drawn the much favoured end pegs. Drew on 18 and Tony on 5. Both were excelent end pegs that would and did produce excelent results with both anglers having the experience to attract fish from the vacant pegs. With what wind there was blowing it was directed towards the end pegs. I was fortunate to be pegged on 28 and had a good view of all pegs in the competition and could hear most of the patter. As far as matches go the atmosphere was certainly great as jokes were cracked throughout the night filling the air with laughter between Tony's ooohs and ahhs.

The all in was called at 6-15pm and for once it was rather peaceful start to a match without the sound of the splashers and pellets being fired at the water. In fact the the only disturbance on the night was the Ducks that caused me to pay more attention to Del and that little bag. At first I presumed he had fish in it but how wrong could I be. Every now and then the ducks would go crazy quacking at Del. Very strange, what was the Wee Man up to. Closer observation provided the answer. Del only had a penguin in the bag on a leash with a collar round it's neck. As he launched it into the pond it would come up with a fish in its beak and the ducks would go crazy. Yes Del was right and very honest when he said he caught 3lb of fish, the penguin caught the other 9lbs. After the match he was regreting that he hadn't swam with the dolphins as the penguin couldn't cope with the Ghosties that were being caught and required to win the match.

From the outset pegs 2, 3, 4 and 5 were very busy producing big Carp and I mean Big Carp, 'Argh 4lb', 'Ooh 7lb' and that was just the opening 15 minutes from peg 5. Woody was being Woody shipping over to the Island and back with a Carp, at the weigh in I saw a Del sized silver in his net, where that came from I don't know, probably one of the Ghosties spat it out. Add to that Kyser foul hooking a large Carp and myself, Matt and Colin Hart having to sit watching Kyser's antics for ten minutes attempting to get it in.

To my right on peg 26 young Kevin was taking the silvers from the far bank punctuated by the odd 4lb Carp, I know that must have been annoying to his rhythm, these things we have to accept fishing the Island. Myself, I had to fish at 16m to get to the Island and there was no Carp just small silvers. I made a decision to fish the margins after 30 mins for the silvers as by that time Woody and Tony were in double figures. Word from Bank runner Ferguson was that Drew was the front runner on the farside of the bank closely followed by the Clamity Kid.

There were howls of laughter as Darren visited Tony and Woody to take the bad news back to Ian. Darren had commented on the size of Tony's float and Tony had explained that the big float was required due to failure in the eyesight as himself and Bryan Hewitt were getting old. ( don't know how he brought your name in Bryan unless it's you that makes the floats, if so I need one also. ) Tony went on to explain that he had visited the opticians prior to attending the match and had asked them to replace a screw on one leg of his spectacles and one of the lenses. They informed him that they couldn't and Tony said so you cannot help me. It was then they handed him the Traffic Cone and said use this as a float you might be able to see that.

From where I sat the situation was that the big carp were swiming into the wind and Tony got first crack at them, what Tony missed Woodrow pulverised and those that Woody couldn't catch due to the numbers Hillhouse and Kyser took out. They all did such a good job that only two carp made the top end and the ever vigilant Colin Hart snaffled them so myself and Matt didn't get a chance. In a way I was glad as Matt with one Carp would have taken me out. On the other side Drew was doing similar.

When the all out came it was an obvious choice between Woody and Tony for first and second with Tony conceeding that Woodrow had done him. The laughter and jokes were great as the scales told the story then it was down to the record books to say as to whether a new record had been created. I think everyone who took part enjoyed what turned out to be a great midge free match on the Island Pond. The rain never arrived and we all made it up Heartbreak Hill dry.

It is rumoured that next weeks match may be the final one so lets make it a sell out to end what has been a great series of Monday Night matches. ;)

Congratulations on your new record Woody.

Tight Lines.
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Return to Magiscroft Match Results