Coarse fishing yesteryears

All our stories and information about coarse fishing in Scotland (and elsewhere) in 'the good old days' !

Coarse fishing yesteryears

Postby Del-boy » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:53 pm

Hi all, I got talking today to Colin Mckerrel and he was telling me he planned to post a copy of an article he found about the old 4 nations competition when it was held on our very own Kilbirnie loch. He also found other articles concerning an old world championship which he also he plans to post. With the early nights coming and our fishing time now limited It got me thinking as a lot of anglers on the forum are new or newish to coarse angling. Would it not be great to have a seperate topic on this very subject where the more experienced anglers can tell us how it used to be before the creation of carp filled commercials.

I for one (and I know I'm not alone) would be very interested in this and can't help feel that the main contributor for this would have to be none other than Bryan Hewit. The reason I post this on the main forum rather than send him a private message is in the hope that I can cause him some embarrassment and prompt him into action.

Bryan seems to be going through a purple patch at the moment with a couple of good wins on Orchil recently and I'm sure he finished in the top 3 of his section on the last federation match (buttering him up now). So come on Bryan let's get this up and running as I'm pretty sure it will be a popular topic. :D :D :D

Del-boy
Del-boy
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Re: Coarse fishing yesteryear

Postby CraigC » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:47 am

Good post Del. I would love to be reminded of the days before commercials.
Westside Angling Group, Cowan, Hudson, MacDonald and Miller. Masters of Mediocrity bring on the Barras. So say we all.
CraigC
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby chart » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:04 pm

Go on Bryan especially the Strathclyde Park days.
magi till a die.
chart
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby Daren Adams » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:08 pm

jaybee should be able to add to this thread.Lets see some more of your work Jim.
Daren.
Barras Open Champion 2005.
Daren Adams
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby bryanh » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:14 pm

Del-boy wrote:Hi all, I got talking today to Colin Mckerrel and he was telling me he planned to post a copy of an article he found about the old 4 nations competition when it was held on our very own Kilbirnie loch. He also found other articles concerning an old world championship which he also he plans to post. With the early nights coming and our fishing time now limited It got me thinking as a lot of anglers on the forum are new or newish to coarse angling. Would it not be great to have a seperate topic on this very subject where the more experienced anglers can tell us how it used to be before the creation of carp filled commercials.

I for one (and I know I'm not alone) would be very interested in this and can't help feel that the main contributor for this would have to be none other than Bryan Hewit. The reason I post this on the main forum rather than send him a private message is in the hope that I can cause him some embarrassment and prompt him into action.

Bryan seems to be going through a purple patch at the moment with a couple of good wins on Orchil recently and I'm sure he finished in the top 3 of his section on the last federation match (buttering him up now). So come on Bryan let's get this up and running as I'm pretty sure it will be a popular topic. :D :D :D

Del-boy

Section runner-up in last Fed match actually Derek, managing to beat Brian Clark off the next peg.

On a more serious note, having now purchased a top of the range film scanner, i'm in the process of sorting through hundreds of b&w negs, colour slides and colour negs dating back to
about 1960 so I hope to eventually post the odd one or two, that's if I can stand the boredome
and monotony off scanningthe damn things.
bryanh
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Del-boy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:41 pm

Looking forward to it Bryan. :D :D :D

Del-boy
Del-boy
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Craig P » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:29 pm

Nice idea Del - just in case anyone thinks that coarse fishing in Scotland didn't start until Magiscroft opened ;) Here’s my memories just to prompt Bryan & Jim Brown to correct the inaccuracies of what I remember as a boy.

I fished my first coarse match in 1970 (I was eight) at Dullatur on the Forth & Clyde. The club that my father and I belonged to (Glasgow & West of Scotland Coarse Fishing Association) was founded by Bryan Hewitt and others a few years earlier and I believe was the first coarse club in Scotland. Bryan has written about this on the SFCA website. GWSCFA club matches in those days would have about 20 or so fishing including about half a dozen juniors. In those days the canal was a fantastic fishery and to win a match in summer you needed a decent double figure weight. Even in winter when we had to break the ice to fish then you probably needed a pound or two to win.

I remember one match probably around 74 along towards Old Kilpatrick when I was on an end peg. I been catching 2-4oz roach steadily all day and at the end weighed in 24lb 6 oz – still my best match weight. The next two guys weighed less (but still double figures) then one guy had 25lb. A good few high teen weights followed until they got to my dad who weighed in 28lb. The next five pegs all weighed in more and I think just less than 35lb won it. Probably over 400lb of roach between about 20 anglers – if only we had it like that now.

In those days everyone fished with a float rod. Having a leger rod (feeders hadn’t been invented) with a screw in swing tip meant you were serious. Normal tackle for the canal was a 13/14ft fibre glass match rod, Mitchell 300 or Abu 506 reel, 2lb maxima mainline and lighter hook lengths made from maxima or Perlon. 18 and 20s were the normal hook size – all barbed of course no barbless in those days. Floats were sometimes shop bought but more often home made. I used to be continually making “insert wagglers” from drinking straws and cocktail sticks. You had to make loads because they hardly lasted any time.

People either sat on folding chairs, wicker baskets or home made boxes – no Rive oil rigs. There was one guy in the club, Chris Gauntlett, who had a basket that you could have fitted a dead body into. He, like all off us, threw his gear over his shoulder and walked miles up the canal to where we were pegged – no trollies!

Hogganfield was another venue we fished and it had the promise of exotic species like Bream and Carp. I never caught any there and always remember the fishing was hard. My first Bream came from Ken (I think) probably around ’76. I say I think it was Ken because I can only remember that it was in the South West and was the biggest place I’d ever fished up to then. Compared to Hogganfield and the canal it looked like the Atlantic.

During the late sixties and early seventies Tench had begun to show up on the canal after they had been introduced from a netting operation up in Fife I think. I’m sure Bryan has mentioned this somewhere. I caught my first one at Banknock. If you head West from the carp park for about 100yds you get to a bend and when you’re round that then the canal is straight for miles. My first tench came from a swim right on the corner where you could cast over to some reeds on the far bank. It was about 3lb. That swim also got me my first 2lb roach and a perch pushing 3lb.

In the early seventies someone (Roy Southgate or Jim Frackleton maybe) asked if that the club should put some carp in the canal. As it was felt that they would just be pike fodder until they were a decent size they were initially stocked into a small dumbbell shaped pond on a farm somehwere near Hamilton. After a couple of years club members started to fish for them. My dad had planned a trip for us using the best information we could pick up from Richard Walker’s column in the Angling Times – mainly that you had to get up early. So one summer weekend my dad woke me in what felt like the middle of the night to head down to this farm. Once at the farm you had to carry all your kit through a field of bulls and then negotiate your way down a steep slope to get to the waters edge. I gingerly set up in the half light and was casting out just as the sun started to rise. Well, we caught bog all for several hours :roll: . However late in the afternoon my float dipped as something took the 4 maggots I had on a size fourteen. I struck and nearly got dragged into the water as whatever I'd hooked took off like a train. About fifteen minutes later I shoved my landing net under my first carp. It was a common of 8lb 3oz. My knees shook for about 2 hours afterwards as it was by far the biggest fish I'd ever caught up until then. A year or so later the club ran a netting expedition to the pond and despite having to haul out tree branches and wade in 2 foot deep mud we netted out all the carp and put them into the Forth & Clyde. The fish I caught about 30 years ago is probably swimming around Firhill basin as I write.

I’ve skived off work enough so don’t have time to write about KMAC (Jaybee’s old club), roach bashing on the Forth, 300 plus peg Scottish opens, founding of the SFCA, catching 10-15lb nets of goldfish at Clydebank or anything else we got up to. In 1979 when I went to Uni I was pretty much a fully converted fluff chucker as the coarse fishing was rubbish. I came back to the dark side about 2-3 years ago.
Craig P
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby hiabhero » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:28 pm

i dont know about this thing we all seem to have about THE DARK SIDE surely we are all involved in the realm of angling that needs the most skill,experience ,knowledge and tactics than any other discipline.therefore i propose from now on we refer to course angling as THE ENLIGHTENED SIDE. :D :lol: ;)
fishing is not a hobby its a lifestyle
hiabhero
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby CraigC » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:35 pm

hiabhero wrote:i dont know about this thing we all seem to have about THE DARK SIDE surely we are all involved in the realm of angling that needs the most skill,experience ,knowledge and tactics than any other discipline.therefore i propose from now on we refer to course angling as THE ENLIGHTENED SIDE. :D :lol: ;)

As someone involved in all sides of fishing, I have never seen any branch as DARK SIDE or even ENLIGHTENED SIDE. To me it's all good wether it's dry fly for trout, deadbaiting for pike, delicate rigs on the canal or animal gear on the 'Croft. :D
Westside Angling Group, Cowan, Hudson, MacDonald and Miller. Masters of Mediocrity bring on the Barras. So say we all.
CraigC
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby Del-boy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:33 pm

Great post Gavin, very interesting. I also fished Hogganfield loch from the age of 10 to 14 (19-80 to 19-84) and I think I only ever caught one perch in all that time. I read the angling weeklies (angling times and angler's mail) religously every week while trying to copy what the late great Ivan Marks was doing in his comic strip feature. There was the slight difference that he was an angling legend fishing with an Abu closed faced reel and 13ft match rod on the River Trent while I was on Hogganfield Loch with a 7ft spinning rod and 20lb line.

I think in 19-83 I read in the Daily Record on the Friday angling section that the Scottish junior national was being fished at Old Kilpatrick. The contact number was a guy called Terry Day. The junior national was held on the Saturday with the senior event the following day. I remember receiving my peg number through the post on the Thursday which was 2 days prior to the match. Needless to say I blanked though on this occassion a lot of fish were caught by the other anglers. I also fished a match a couple of months later which was called the Glasgow open. This was again fished on the canal, however this time it was fished at Dalmuir. There was a club scene at the time which I regret not getting involved in. I think the teams at the time were Milton, Strathclyde Coarse anglers, Barochan executives, Barochan (something else) and I think Central were called Kirkintilloch at the time. I'm pretty sure this was still a couple of years short of the all conquering Monklands club being formed.

I even remember skipping school when I was about 14 to go to Barlanark library as they had a massive back collection of anglers mails that dated back a couple of years and one of their action replay features actually featured a Scottish angler. I can't remember his name but he absolutely emptied the River Endrick at Drymen.

I was 14 years old when I wrote a letter to Strathclyde Coarse Angling club requesting to join them. This led to my only international fishing experience as after arriving at the venue via 3 buses I met up with a guy called Jimmy Byers and they were having a practice match where the Scotland junior team were fishing against Strathclye juniors and the Scottish junior team had a man less than their Strathclyde junior counterparts therefore using me to make the numbers even. I turned up with my spinning rod and 8lb cheap and nasty line. Everyone blanked and with my early manipulating statistics skills I managed to tell my non angler friends that I had drawn level with the international team.

Being from a little village called EASTERHOUSE didn't help as even my schoolmates that were interested in fishing only wanted to fish for pike in the likes of Bishoploch and trout in Drumpellier Loch. I think it was around this time that the Monklands canal was starting to take off though I didn't know this until several years later.

When I was 15 years old, my parents used to let me venture out a great deal further and I used to go to the River Endrick at the house at Drymen and after about 3 months of catching nothing other than salmon parr there was a match on it (Think it was a club called London-Scottish or something) and I watched in awe as almost everyone caught fish. I just sat behind the anglers and pestered the life out of them for information (22 years on and still doing the same). I soon realised that my 50p tub of maggots from Cafaro Brothers in Renfield Street wasn't sufficient. I think I pestered the anglers for maggots as they were packing up and I actually caught a few fish thereafter. I made this a regular weekly trip with the last bus back to Glasgow being at 6pm I think. Most of the time I was catching fish and just caught the bus and no more, though on occassion more often than not the fishing was that good that I'd deliberately miss the bus and hitch a lift into Glasgow. Bearing in mind I was only 15 years old and being a parent now realize this was foolish.

The rest they say is history with me still having a burning passion for coarse angling with no one to point me in the right direction until Magiscroft (and Kaiser) came along. I remember just prior to Magiscroft opening that the S.F.C.A website was up and running which I read and read several times over. I remember seeing these guys that I was reading about for the first time in a Monday night match and I was shiting myself fishing the same island pond as them. The 2nd match I ever fished was the following week ( 5th May 2003) against these same experienced anglers and there was the addition this time of an angler called Mcleod, Ronnie Mcleod. Some of you might even have heard of him. Apparentley he was a bit of an angler in his day. I don't need to tell you that I actually won the match with just under 10lbs of carp. Saverio Petri finished 2nd with just less than 8lbs. I had about 6 lumps of carp (they were lumps at the time) for my weight where poor Ian Whitson had also just under 8lbs though I think he had a million Ide which averaged about an ounce at the time. Who said fishing was fair?

This was the 2nd match I'd ever fished in my adult life and I won the f***in thing and remember being on cloud nine when Ronnie Mcleod who I was just getting to know at the time decides to have a go at me saying "you should've had 20 or 30 lbs from that noted flyer of a peg, what were you doing, facing the wrong way for half the match?"....................6 years on and nothing has changed. Think I'd start worrying if he ever handed out compliments. Ha ha :D :D :D

Del-boy
Del-boy
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Craig P » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:59 pm

Del-boy wrote:Great post Gavin,

Here :!: are you trying to suggest my boy is 30 years too old to fish in the junior matches... Jeez it was bad enough being known as Tom Postlethwaite's boy but now I'm just Gavin's dad.....

Funny you mention Ivan Marks. As I kid I reckoned that by reading his column I would be able to outfish anyone but him should I ever end up on the Nene or Welland. Oh, the innocence & stupidity of youth.

Cheers
Craig
Craig P
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby bryanh » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Craigs post was reasonably accurate but i'm not sure his dates are.

The Glasgow& W Scotland CFA was indeed the first organised coarse fishing club in
Scotland and was formed towards the end of 1966. We were instrumental in bringing
big-time coarse fishing to the area and at its peak, the Scottish Open Championship attracted
500 anglers (not 300) to the Forth & Clyde canal and that particular event was pegged from
Banknock to Auchinstarry, with a further section at Cadder.
The history of this event is covered in a piece I wrote for the Federation magazine a few years ago and can be found by clicking on http://www.sfca.co.uk/sca/bhbegin2.htm

The introduction of the first consignment of carp to the canal resulted from a club meeting in
August 1971 at which is was agreed we would purchase 500 mixed 'fingerlings' from an Essex
supplier. The were duly despatched in a heavy-duty polythene bag inflated with oxygen and
Roger Reynolds and I collected the consignment from the overnight London-Glasgow express
at Central station the following morning.

They were not, however, all released into a farm pond to grow -on; the majority of them
(about 450) were released into the canal at Kelvinhead (see picture)
The remaining 50 were released into a small disused quarry located on farmland owned
by Roy Southgate's father in law in the hope that they would survive and provide us with a bit
of easy carp fishing in the future and only a couple of minutes from home.

How wrong we were, after a couple of years we fished the quarry on a regular basis and never
caught a scooby. The place was a disaster, over twenty feet deep in places and the bottom was
littered with rocks and boulders, some the size of a small car. To make matters worse, the
sheer, rocky sides of the quarry, while not very high,provided only a couple of pegs which could
be fished in comfort.
After Roy passed away,over 20 years ago,I lost contact with his father in law and have never been back. Must have a wander up there sometime and see if the quarry is still there.

As I mentioned, the carp were introduced to the quarry in 1971 and as none of them weighed more than a few ounces I think time may have clouded Craig's memory with regard to the size
of the fish he caught and the year that he caught it.
img024 [800x600].jpg
img024 [800x600].jpg (59.73 KB) Viewed 29786 times

Roger Reynolds at Kelvinhead withthe carp consignment
(Apologies for the lousy photo, still getting to grips with the new scanner)
bryanh
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Re: Coarse fishing yesteryears

Postby CraigC » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:28 pm

I am going to bore you all with my first recollection of match fishing. The exact year escapes me, '89 I think. The series was called the 'JB Angling Loch Construction League' and was a 4 match series. I was a kid of 15 who did very well on the local cut and thought he was ready to take on the world with a combination of reading Angling Times and catching lots of fish on the canal.(4 match series was on the Park).

I turned up with my 12 ft float rod and home made swingtip rod, which was an old rod top which I cut and added a piece of silicone. Remember very little about the match. As a young kid, all I knew was I was fishing alongside a certain Mr McLeod? and Mr Glen? No I don't know them either :D

There was fish caught although the weight escapes me. Match two.......not a bite along the whole match.

Match three. I turn up at the park and nobody is there. Thank God for Mr Brown(Jaybee) who drove me(in his wee red van) to the river Calder for the match. Most people bagged, me, I drew below the boards and blanked. Thank God the late Eric Gilbert talked to me and told me what was happening. Caught a lot after the match....about 6lb of small roach.

Match four....Don't remember much. I had an operation on my foot and was supposed to be confined to the house. Still made the match and blanked once again.

From my point of view, I felt like a God. Not with my catch(Blank) but I told my fishing buddies how I was fishing with Ronnie Mcleod(You know him) and George Glen(He may do well in the future). I wish I could remember all who fished there. Any help gentlemen?
CraigC
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby GG » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:38 am

CraigC wrote:I am going to bore you all with my first recollection of match fishing. The exact year escapes me, '89 I think. The series was called the 'JB Angling Loch Construction League' and was a 4 match series. I was a kid of 15 who did very well on the local cut and thought he was ready to take on the world with a combination of reading Angling Times and catching lots of fish on the canal.(4 match series was on the Park).

I turned up with my 12 ft float rod and home made swingtip rod, which was an old rod top which I cut and added a piece of silicone. Remember very little about the match. As a young kid, all I knew was I was fishing alongside a certain Mr McLeod? and Mr Glen? No I don't know them either :D

Hi Craig, great stuff, I think I might remember that series. If it's the one I'm thinking about it was late 1989, I can't remember exactly but I think the matches were October/November? If you are sure I was there ... then that would have to be the right time, because I didn't match fish very much through 1986 to 1989, I was too busy being a pop star ;) (http://www.avo8.co.uk). I went to the 1989 World Championships in Bulgaria to run the bank then got back into match fishing seriously again starting with that series and the SFCA winter league.

I do remember enjoying fishing the park in those matches and I think I did quite well, winning one of the winter league matches with 10lb of big roach near the tree on the boating pond. I'm also sure I won one of the JB Loch Construction matches with about 6lb of nice roach on the roadside at the boating pond. :D :D :D

I know waggler did well in certain areas at certain times (Rab Crossan was master of that) ... but I never really got to grips with it ... in the winter though the tip was best and I took to that straight away with a few pointers from master MacLeod :D ;) The key was accuracy and patience. Since you were looking to catch quality roach from 8oz to over a pound, you just couldn't go at it like a bull in a china shop. Medium and small feeders were used to slowly build a peg up, being careful to judge the amount of feed to the bites. Then you would often change to a bomb with small hook and long tail. Key was to give it lots of time for the bite to come. Rarely would you get a bite within 5 minutes ... you could wait 10 minutes ... then after 10 minutes you would start concentrating more in anticipation of a bite ... often you would need to wait 15 minutes for the bite ... which could be a 1lb roach. :D Missing a bite was soul destroying :cry:

Those were the days :!: But as you say Craig ... not everyone could catch and sometimes everyone blanked :shock:

I've been thinking about where to start with putting up stuff into All Our Yesteryears. Because of this ... I'll start with 1989 World Championships :D :D :D
GG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Craig P » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:42 pm

bryanh wrote:Craigs post was reasonably accurate but i'm not sure his dates are.

I was wee.... but now I know the real dates!.

Thanks Bryan.

Cheers
Craig
Craig P
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby perchie » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi great thread and got me thinking about how i got into fishing.

Way back in 1981 I had a holiday to Donegal and my uncle gave me a rod which I used to catch flatties in a river estuary - i rememeber the estuary was alive with sea trout at night.

After that I would pester my dad to take me to the barrhead dams and I remember my first fish was a perch which was HUGE - probably 1 pound which I took home to my mum! The key moment in my fishing life was probably when my brother came home from school and said his teacher's son was into fishing and I should talk to him - it was David Ewing who at the time would have been in his early 20's and was in the Scotland team - he now does alot on http://www.matchangler.com.

Dave took me under his wing so to speak and I joined Barochan. I remember numerous trips with him and John Schneider to Castle Semple loch, Kilbirnie loch and the Canal at Dalmuir and Bowling. Del the guy on the Endrick was a Welsh guy called Dave Carnell who lived in Helensburgh. The matches that really stand out for me are the Kilbirnie matches where carlisle were the top dogs especially Gerry "Sam" Clarke. Sam once spent an hour with me after a match showing me how to fish it - I always rember the thing about it was the sweet groundbait he used and the fact he said you didn't need too far out - that being 25 yards.

Another time I remember well was Alistair Keir catching over 20 lb of roach on the long pole at Bowling in a match in late autumn - I was amazed at the length of the pole that day. thru Barochan i met amongst others Chris Paton and remember George Glen as a youngster with Edinburgh Castles.

I gave up fishing from about 1989 until 2002 in favour of drink and women altho I still had the occasional trip mainly to Eglington Park and once Rouken Geln Park pond on the way home from the dancing - I remember having an interesting conversation with the polis as to whether there were any fish in the pond at 6 am on a Sunday morning.

My return to fishing coincided with the opening of Magiscroft and I am sure without it and the other spin offs I would probably not be fishing

SM
Monklands CAC
"It is cold in their shadow!"
perchie
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby CraigC » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:54 pm

I am having so much trouble as I have forgotten most of my matches from 89 to 01.

First team match was the canal(where else)? Dullater to Banknock. '90 I think. Team Barochan B. Team was Me, Mr Paton, Ally Baird, Graeme Aitken and, I think Paul Carnel? You guys see how my memory has gone? I had 4 small perch and was soundly beaten by a chap who gave me the best advice to a novice ever....................Pools are paying the better angler...The reason I have never entered the pools.
CraigC
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby bryanh » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:51 pm

chart wrote:Go on Bryan especially the Strathclyde Park days.

Part 1 - A BIT OF HISTORY

One or two guys have been asking about Strathclyde Park so I thought I would start with a few
details of the background and history of the development. Hope it's not too boring.

Over the centuries, the area known as the Hamilton Low Parks has played its part in Scottish
history.

In recent years, considerable evidence of Roman occupation was unearthed and a number of
features were excavated and preserved, to be incorporated into the visitor attractions of what
was to become Strathclyde Country Park.

On a plateau to the north of the area and just barely visible are a few sections of ramparts from
the second century Antonine-period Bothwellhaugh Fort while nearby, a Roman rest and
bathhouse which was discovered when the loch was under construction was dismantled and
rebuilt on a permanent site adjacent to the river Calder.
One historical 'red herring' however is the picturesque stone bridge spanning the Calder and
known locally as the Roman Bridge; it is actually a 17th century pack horse bridge.

The area around Bothwell Bridge probably still harbours the ghosts of the Covenanting forces
who were so brutally massacred by by the Royalist Highland Army of the Duke of Monmouth during
the notorious Battle of Bothwell 'Brig in 1679 and their memory is immortalised by an impressive stone monument which stands guard high above the Clyde, to the north of the park and close
to an area known locally as the Covenanters field.

Perhaps the greatest impact on the area in modern times resulted from coal mining and while it is not certain when the first shafts were sunk. activities continued until the Hamilton Park
colliery at Bothwellhaugh was finally closed in 1958.
The coal mining left a legacy of serious subsidence throughout the area as derelict underground
workings collapsed by as much as sixteen feet. This caused the formation of numerous surface
depressions which filled with water and became naturally stocked with coarse fish,most
probably from the adjacent river Clyde which frequently overflowed during spate conditions.

Around 1946, proposals were first raised for a recreational development which would make use of the largely derelict and flood-prone area and in June 1973, the ideas were finally realised when the first construction stages for the 1600 acre park and 200 acre loch commenced.

My early experiences in this area were centred on the Motherwell boating pond, Bothwellhaugh pond, known locally as the Palace pond and a winding section of the Clyde downstream of
Motherwell Bridge, all venues which produced some of the best roach fishing I have ever
experienced and now, sadly, no longer in existence, all swallowed up by the construction of
Strathclyde park.

More next time.
img067 [640x480].jpg
img067 [640x480].jpg (29.82 KB) Viewed 28134 times
bryanh
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Colin_K » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:00 pm

great and interesting reading Bryan

can't wait for part 2
Colin_K
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby hiabhero » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:05 pm

good stuff bryan.this is exactly the sort of things that we can all take in and hopefully pass on to keep the course fishing history alive and not forgotten
fishing is not a hobby its a lifestyle
hiabhero
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Next

Return to All Our Yesteryears