A Funny thing happened to an angler today.

General discussion about fishing at Magiscroft. Ask any questions and feel free to share hints 'n tips.

A Funny thing happened to an angler today.

Postby Tommy L » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:28 pm

I hope the guy comes on here and related the story himself. I got it from Ronnie. The Carp were spawning in the Margins this morning and a guy was fishing. He caught a carp and as he landed it at his peg he put his landing net into the water to net it. As he netted it a further two carp swam into his net with it. :rofl
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Re: A Funny thing happened to an angler today.

Postby J Robinson » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:39 am

If the carp were spawning, fishing for them is generally regarded as very unethical. A lot of fisheries further south (where the spawning is more consistent and predictable) close whilst the carp spawn.
J Robinson
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby wizzer » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:05 am

Bit confused by your "very unethical" reply Mr Robinson. Seems to me you do things to suit yourself I remember when I first visited Magiscroft and there was a rule quite clearly stating NO PIKE FISHING this rule was then relaxed and a season or period in the year when pike fishing was allowed. Now from what I recall the season only ran basically through the winter months and did not extend into June so my argument or call it what you will is in another post you are in search of advice on how to catch these pike through the summer months "VERY UNETHICAL" in my opinion but it is only my opinion :?

J Robinson wrote:If the carp were spawning, fishing for them is generally regarded as very unethical. A lot of fisheries further south (where the spawning is more consistent and predictable) close whilst the carp spawn.
Fail to prepare,prepare to fail
wizzer
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby J Robinson » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:21 pm

wizzer wrote:Bit confused by your "very unethical" reply Mr Robinson. Seems to me you do things to suit yourself I remember when I first visited Magiscroft and there was a rule quite clearly stating NO PIKE FISHING this rule was then relaxed and a season or period in the year when pike fishing was allowed. Now from what I recall the season only ran basically through the winter months and did not extend into June so my argument or call it what you will is in another post you are in search of advice on how to catch these pike through the summer months "VERY UNETHICAL" in my opinion but it is only my opinion :?

J Robinson wrote:If the carp were spawning, fishing for them is generally regarded as very unethical. A lot of fisheries further south (where the spawning is more consistent and predictable) close whilst the carp spawn.

The two instances are not even remotely related.

Fishing for carp whilst they are spawning is regarded as unethical as they are exerting huge amounts of energy trying to reproduce and can often be extremely easy to catch as their natural caution abandons them.

The winter season for pike is something only really observed in England and almost nowhere else. The entirety of Scandinavia and northern Europe continues to fish for pike throughout the year, and as do the Canadians. I believe the winter season for pike is in part down to the fact that other species are largely dormant. It's not because pike fishing is better in winter. Quite the contrary. It's rubbish.

Seems like you are just trying to pick an argument. I was simply conveying the general consensus which is you don't fish for spawning carp.
J Robinson
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby sjmclean89 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:43 pm

J Robinson wrote:A lot of fisheries further south (where the spawning is more consistent and predictable) close whilst the carp spawn.

I've worked on multiple fisheries and fished all the big one's down south and none of them close for this carp spawning period. You'd have to close for a month, as you can't narrow it down much further than that.
sjmclean89
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby J Robinson » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:14 pm

sjmclean89 wrote:
J Robinson wrote:A lot of fisheries further south (where the spawning is more consistent and predictable) close whilst the carp spawn.

I've worked on multiple fisheries and fished all the big one's down south and none of them close for this carp spawning period. You'd have to close for a month, as you can't narrow it down much further than that.

Maybe they didn't then, but they do seem to now. Two of the local fisheries at our new house in Devon (Luccombes and Lakeside view) closed for spawning. Luccombes was closed for a month.
J Robinson
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby wizzer » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:32 pm

J Robinson wrote:
sjmclean89 wrote:

Maybe they didn't then, but they do seem to now. Two of the local fisheries at our new house in Devon (Luccombes and Lakeside view) closed for spawning. Luccombes was closed for a month.

Can just see Ronnie closing the fishery for a month along with the other 2 to 3 months he loses through the bad winter weather :doh
Fail to prepare,prepare to fail
wizzer
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby J Robinson » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:54 pm

I think a month is excessive, definitely.

Personally, I'd just direct anglers to one of the other ponds if the carp in the main loch were going at it. The carp in the other ponds are too small/young to spawn anyway.
J Robinson
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Return to Magiscroft Fishing Talk