Fish welfare

General discussion about fishing at Magiscroft. Ask any questions and feel free to share hints 'n tips.

Fish welfare

Postby wizzer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:36 am

I have created this topic just to see how big a hole a guy can dig for himself and if its big enough perhaps Ronnie & John can fill it full of fish.
Jonathon you claim to speak for the "specimen" anglers of the Main Loch and yet in your writings on the other topic you have spoken to only TWO who have concerns?
Second point, and I quote your last line from your last piece

John and Ronnie do a great job of looking after all the waters, and the only difference is the matches.
Are you saying that John and Ronnie don't give a toss about what happens during or after the matches? Perhaps John who is on the forum could enlighten us
Fail to prepare,prepare to fail
wizzer
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Re: Fish welfare

Postby J Robinson » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:01 am

I am not saying that John and Ronnie don't care about the fish (far from it, and I've stated that repeatedly) during matches, but again, you've not answered my question. If the matches are no worse than other forms of fishing for the welfare of the fish, then why is it only the match waters that have persistent issues?

The two chaps I've referenced are friends and I don't get into deep discussions with a whole load of people on the bank beyond that. I've got plenty of anecdotal evidence of the general consensus amongst the non-match anglers, but nothing that I can reference. I am happy to compile testimonies from other anglers next time I'm out! :bleh

Look, I know I'm digging myself a hole and that my views are not shared by anyone here, but as I said, I'll not apologise for concerning myself with fish welfare. Even if you entirely disregard the welfare of the fish from a moral standpoint, poorly looked after fish don't feed and the fishing goes down the swannie.
J Robinson
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby twitcher » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:05 pm

I am here to appologise to the way I spoke to you or about you on the other thread . I dont have the answer and I'm not expert or arrogant enough to think that i hold the answers all this simple match angler knows is that many factors come into the equation and not just match fishing these ponds are heavily fished by all match anglers and pleasure anglers alike also stalking and movement of fish too are possible considerations . Now had you obliged right at the start and moved this post to a new thread instead of digging your heals in you may have had so many much more polite and long winded debates done in the right approach and mindset and might have even been constructive in changing anglers minds in some of your views in fish welfare which may still be salvagable but unfortunately because of your stubborn streak and short sightedness all you've really managed is to get peoples backs up mine included . Knowledge isnt a tool to be slapped about freely without consent give proper discourse and approach and you will achieve greater results otherwise you achieve exactly what you did angry voices . Just my humble rather simplistic view on the whole debacle ps excuse the bad layout punctuation and spelling lol I did say simple .
twitcher
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby J Robinson » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:30 pm

twitcher wrote:I am here to appologise to the way I spoke to you or about you on the other thread . I dont have the answer and I'm not expert or arrogant enough to think that i hold the answers all this simple match angler knows is that many factors come into the equation and not just match fishing these ponds are heavily fished by all match anglers and pleasure anglers alike also stalking and movement of fish too are possible considerations . Now had you obliged right at the start and moved this post to a new thread instead of digging your heals in you may have had so many much more polite and long winded debates done in the right approach and mindset and might have even been constructive in changing anglers minds in some of your views in fish welfare which may still be salvagable but unfortunately because of your stubborn streak and short sightedness all you've really managed is to get peoples backs up mine included . Knowledge isnt a tool to be slapped about freely without consent give proper discourse and approach and you will achieve greater results otherwise you achieve exactly what you did angry voices . Just my humble rather simplistic view on the whole debacle ps excuse the bad layout punctuation and spelling lol I did say simple .

I really don't want to wind anyone up when it comes to fish welfare, and I also apologise if that was the effect. I am very blunt at times, and I know that that can rub people the wrong way.

I just love fishing. I'm as happy catching 1 ounce roach all day as stalking carp as trotting a float down a river (though it's years since I've had that opportunity) or deadbaiting for pike. Part of that love of fishing is an appreciation for the fish themselves and I keep fish at home in a large aquarium and a large pond. I just don't like to see needlessly careless handling of fish from anyone. That's from an ethical point of view for the fish, but also it's really bad for the fishery. A fish only has to be mishandled once for it to suffer irrevocable damage. Dead fish mean fewer fish to catch, pollution issues and restocking costs for the fishery.

Obviously the match anglers participating in the matches are amongst the most skilled of all the fisherman at Magiscroft but all I'm asking is if there could be an unhooking mat involved at the weigh ins to help cushion the fish. I'll always encourage the pleasure anglers on the banks of the main loch to consider utilising unhooking mats and decent landing nets too. Many pleasure anglers are guilty of overkill on the tackle front for the carp too (which someone else mentioned can result in mouth issues). I fish with a 1lb 2oz test curve rod and 6lb Maxima. It's so much more fun to fish light and no issues with mouth damage either.

Anyway, my original post on the thread was just expressing a desire that consideration be given to the anglers that don't fish matches and want to target larger fish. We've only got the main loch and there isn't another water there with carp over 5lb. I was also just trying to start a meaningful dialogue about the aforementioned issue with fish welfare during matches.
J Robinson
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby twitcher » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:11 am

Nothing wrong with a lot that you were saying for me the annoying part was it was on the wrong thread and it would've been all too easy for you to start a new one instead it took someone else to take charge and bring back some order . For me I will let it go for now and lay the matter at rest although I do very much agree you have a few valid points and will be mentioning them tomorrow to John and Ronnie .
twitcher
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby wizzer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:14 am

I stand to be corrected on this but having fished a fair few of the bigger matches and series on the smaller ponds it was always my recollection that an old battered carp mat was dragged around by usually one of the juniors at the weigh ins especially in the summer months. Bearing in mind a lot of these matches were to introduce new anglers young and old to the match fishing scene the only problem I ever witnessed at the weigh in was anglers not being able to transfer fish from the keepnet to the weigh sling and thus rolling fish down almost the entire length of the keepnet. Most if not all the matches now held at Magiscroft are attended by seasoned veterans to use the term loosely and this problem is now almost none existent however we do still make mistakes and the occasional fish does get caught up in the net or flip onto the ground, but this certainly doesn't or shouldn't seriously contribute to the decline in fishing on the smaller ponds.
Fail to prepare,prepare to fail
wizzer
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Return to Magiscroft Fishing Talk