High Dam + Three Ponds In Airdrie

Anything NOT about Magiscroft or fishing. Keep it clean, youngsters will be reading!

Re: High Dam + Three Ponds In Airdrie

Postby crazydiamonds1972 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:38 pm

Unfortuntaley thats the problem with these ponds...all this crap weather and the water level keeps rising making it difficult to fish.........dont even think the water level on the first pond dropped below the bridge this year even in the height of summer yet about 5 years ago me and Kyzer were able to fish from the shelf on the first pond which is prbably a good 6ft drop in water level......as suggested on NLC website why not drop the water to that level and maintain it.....that would mean instead of only a few being able to fish from the bank, you could get at least 10 - 15 people fishing from the shelf :?: ok its still going to cost but at least there will be no damage done to the fish or surrounding wildlife and us anglers will still be able to fish there....
A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at the office
crazydiamonds1972
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby Tommy L » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:52 pm

crazydiamonds1972 wrote:
meppsfortrout wrote:yeah Mark i forgot to say to you bud but unfortunately the high damn was completely dried up not all that long ago

No way Mepps...how did that happen...it defo wasnt because we had a indian summer so it must have been drained....did you see it with your own eyes or did you here that through the grapevine as I find it hard to believe mate...

Regarding our quarries....if the worst comes to the worst and NLC approved the proposal then we must make sure that ALL the fish in these 3 ponds are safely removed.........we should learn from the mistakes of a recent draining elsewhere or we will have a huge fish loss on our hands....

Just a reminder that a licence is required to move fish around these days. Let's hope that NLC obtain such a licence and remove the fish safely to a venue the licence has been obtained for. :thumb
" I'm not arguing, simply explaining why I'm right."
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby pedro1 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Looks like there is a problem now with the council website lol lo.......

Canny seem to get the page up now lol... We must be doing there heads in on the comments page...

HOPE SO LOL..........

Keep up the good work people ...... :clap
pedro1
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby crazydiamonds1972 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:54 pm

:rofl :rock
crazydiamonds1972
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby pedro1 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:02 am

Nice one crazy...
pedro1
4oz Roach
4oz Roach

Postby meppsfortrout » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:32 am

right guys can you tell me if this is crazy stupid and pointless? maybe even detrimental to our argument?>>>>......me and a few of my mates were thinking about chaining ourselves to the quarry fence and across the makeshift entrance with a couple of protest signs then phoning the press ie local papers and the sun and record etc, would that be a good idea or would it actually be one of the worst things we could do? opinions please
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby toj » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:00 am

Personally I'd recommend phoning the press without the chains...
Fair weather angler
toj
5lb Tench
5lb Tench

Postby crazydiamonds1972 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:56 am

Mepps....i think the application for this unnecessary proposal is at too early a stage to chain yourself to the fence mate....i think we need to wait to see how it progresses before taking some sort of action, hopefully it wont get to that stage if people keep posting their objections on NLC website....problem there is that the online application seems to have vanished as I cant access it????

Was up for a look yesterday before heading to the croft....jesus man, that front pond is at the highest point ive ver seen....by the way, I have been told for an unnamed source that the pipe that pumps in water on the right hand of the first pond is an overflow pipe which runs from Ruffrigg Reservour...surely that is an issue in itself.
crazydiamonds1972
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby meppsfortrout » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:16 pm

i always thought that was just drainage for the surrounding farmland? i know roughrigg really well there is only one overflow (that i know of) and that's only when the loch is high and it runs into the shotts burn which then joins the calder at the 's bend'. don't know what's underground though. also there is a natural spring right at the foot of the hill the tv mast sits on behind roughrigg, the stream from that goes down towards roughrigg but doesn't seem to enter it anywhere maybe that is what goes into the quarry?
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby Tommy L » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:37 pm

Not attempting to be funny here, please hear me out. These Ponds are very dangerous to children. Correct me if I'm wrong, did the council not ring fence these ponds to keep everyone out, especially children. As a youngster I used to live in Petersburn and we would play in the Glen which took us up to the old Dye Ponds at Moffat Mills. When we went picnics we would venture up towards the old Springbank Quarry.

Health and safety is a big issue with Councils who require to ensure that ponds such as these have no access by wandering children. It must be a nightmare to the council to constantly see the safety fence cut allowing access by irresponsible anglers. I have read on this board advertising of holes in fences.

100% certain that all councillors will have no option other than to veto the ponds and by doing so a Heath and safety issue is eradicated for good before the death of a youngster. The ponds will close, mark my words, they are far too dangerous for wandering children to come upon. What we should be looking for that the council be aware of the issue of fish being in the ponds and they take that into consideration and see what they can do about legally saving the fish.

If writing too or emailing the Council please go down the line that the three ponds have got fish within them and what are they going to do to preserve and relocate the fish in some of their termed safe ponds within the Council area.
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby crazydiamonds1972 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Agreed Tommy...these ponds are dangerous but only if you act inappropriately around them....it might not be relevant to this discussion but so far to date as far as im aware there has been no major incident to report at any of these ponds...ok that might not be a good argument for going forward but nevertheless if we all sit back and let this council spend (or more appropriately waste) OUR money on this proposal rather than spend it on more important things that the community needs then so be it....they wont be getting my vote. Let them take away another childhood memory, in fact why not just fill in all the quarries in the central belt....lets do away with them all...after all arent they all "dangerous"...as for a safe pond, none that I can think of in NL apart from local trout waters and they wont want the fish.

This H&S rubbish has gone too far...this countries gone soft...all of the things we use to do when we were young, you could never get away with it today because of these rules and regulations.

Example of H&S nonsense - mum and dad were getting their old washing machine uplifted and the 2 poor fragile council workmen would not uplift it unless my parents removed the stone brick inside...what is that all about!!!!....think us brits have been watching too much Judge Judy....countries gone to pot....

Apologies if I seem to rant on, not my usual style but just really annoyed about this situation....however at the end of the day the welfare of the fish is most important....
crazydiamonds1972
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby meppsfortrout » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:37 pm

clearly the quarries pose a danger but my point is....so does all water!!!!! as crazydiamonds has said fill in every single quarry in the central belt they all must be unsafe. and why is it only when they contain water they seem to be deemed a hazard, they are still deep pits with hard rocky surfaces even without water in them so there's still a risk of falling to your death (personally i'd rather land in water even if i couldn't swim). anyway i say we need to give up fishing as a country as no water body can be classed as safe so they all must be filled in even the trout reservoirs we have no need for them anymore. are any of you familiar with the lilly loch? why on earth is that not a safety issue for the council? the entire north side of the loch is a death trap, there is a track with a cliff on one side of you, and on the other side a very steep drop into deep water over big rocks, there is eveidence all over it of rocks falling and land giving way at points yet people are allowed access all they want, it's insane that these quarries are an issue and other places are apparently ok. they are going to use 190 000 cubic meteres of aggregate waste to fill the quarries, that will be the real reason they are doing it to kill two birds with one stone. in the main loch at magiscroft does it not go very deep right away at the big tree? why isn't that area cordoned off? what are the health and safety execs going to do next? fence off our entire coastline so we can't access the sea? well i say they need to yes!!! they need to be fair and reasonable across the board whats good for the goose has to be good for the gander. get a grip!!
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby Tommy L » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Did you ask yourself why there has been no incidents, could it be down to the fact that the council have been on the case and ring fenced the quarry to prevent children entering the vicinity.

Along comes anglers with wire cutters and cut the fence to allow access leaving it wide open for others to climb in. I'm telling all now that such an act is criminal. I'm delighted to see that we have not had any deaths at ponds, could part of this be down to the fact that that the council keep replacing their safety fence. If some innocent was killed would my statement be agreed with then.

Just look at the internet to find pond drownings. Yes it can happen in 6 inches of water. In a public place there is a good chance of rescuers being nearby. Out in the country miles from anywhere there is little chance of rescue.

http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/l ... l_1_491606

Drowning is the number one cause of death. Most people who drowned entered a quarry and went swimming. Quarries are dangerous places to swim. Steep drop-offs, sharp rocks, flooded equipment and industrial waste can make swimming risky.

Another risk factor is the very cold water. Many quarry operations excavate to depths below the local water table and use pumps to keep the mine dry while it is in operation. When mining stops pumping is discontinued and the quarry floods by the inflow of cold ground water. This ground water inflow can keep these quarries cold even in late summer. Unsuspecting swimmers jump in and are unable to swim in the extremely cold water.

I'm sorry, I stand up for what I posted prior.
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby legend » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:02 am

Magiscroft is a quarry people jumped off the top for years into what is now known as the mainloch. theres even pictures on the wall to prove it. in the clear up operation we found literally hundreds of shoes that had come of the people swimming presumably kicking them off to swim easier in motion. An incident maybe your unaware of a babysitter took a baby too near the top of the cliff on a n outing and fell asleep the baby woke up and went straight off the top. local heroe and friend jimmy hillhouse was fishing saw across the far side. saw the whole developments unfold. jumped in rescued the child and the babysitter after she jumped in a panic.
magiscroft was a huge undertaking from private money it had a lot of help from outside sources. but it also had objections and many who in positions were not for it, simply couldn't see what we could. it would have been sold for landfill and lost for 10 20 years till nature regained it. it wouldn't have been houses lawerence wouln;t have allowed it. anyway all that said. the impossible was not all that impossible in the end. alot of hardwork forsight energy and a great deal of care and thought went into to it to preserve and make sure it was an improvement for everyone and everything.
It can be done and has been done many times england has a history of turning huge gravel pits into fisherys and nature reserves. there are many outdoor pursuit companies in here in ireland that use such places with trained instructors overseeing and risk assements are taken the highest priorty especialy over watered areas.
I for one would like to see investment by the council to improve the quality of the surroundings but they would have to be managed. It could be a place of very great interest for young and old.
Its a much bigger site than magiscroft and the money involved is a different level to turn the place around and for that reason i think they will ruin it. for everything and everyone that every spent any amount of time there.
If springbank quarry had a natural water source it might have been magiscroft and the perchy would have remained as it was. or worse.
If i was to return in a few years and see a dumping site for landfill i wouldn't be surprised especialy with the cheifplanner who is at the head of this, after quoting and i do quote accurately his words. (Nature dosen't mind a bit of rubbish).
a man who sat at the head of the planning dept set against many of the proposals of magiscroft.
I would shed a tear for all the memories that had gone before for evryone who had ever spent a days fishing or birdwatching there or for what ever reason. can be stunning looking place especialy in those sumer mornings with the backdrop of the rockface in the backend quarry.
Your only hope now is that the press get on it and use it against the council for wasting tax payers money especialy in this time. It has to be managed thats all im saying.
hope you all had a good holiday hope this years a good one for ya and sunny too. :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun :sun
legend
3lb F1
3lb F1

Postby meppsfortrout » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:52 am

legend i'm sure it would be a dream venture for lots of people, i'd love to run/manage the place i just don't have any of the relevant qualifications that i'm assuming i would need? and Tommy i don't think anyone is actually arguing against the points you've made they are very true afterall, i just think there's no difference between those quarries and many other places so why single out those quarries? you say as a youngster you would play down the glen well there's a burn there and you were children at the time so what is really the difference there? i think the quarries are enough out the way that children should never wander up there on their own but that's down to responsible parenting. transforming it to make it better and managing is the way to go, car parking, footpaths, fishing pegs/platforms, safety signage and strict rules possible no go areas fenced off and liferings posted around the place. loads of people will have seen the potential the place has i know i have but we can also see it would cost an absolute fortune too much for anyone to think about that's why we need the council to change their mind on filling them and decide to do what we know is best.
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby meppsfortrout » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:35 am

Pedro.....how exactly did you find that application on the council website in the first place? i know that link seems to be broken but i've just spent the last half hour on the site and can't find anything to do with springbank quarry it's as if it's disappeared completely? it's ok they're back again :thumb
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby meppsfortrout » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:13 am

i know people may think it's pointless or even maybe just don't care, but unless you really want these waters to be filled in then all i'm asking is a minute of your time to make a comment objecting to it, that's it, one minute then be finished with it have nothing more to do with it. it's only a small gesture which would be much appreciated
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby meppsfortrout » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:13 am

meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

Postby Tommy L » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:45 am

I have taken 3 hours to view and read all the documents. The important document to read is the J Ross incoming 3rd from the top. In that I have learned that it will be the partially filling in of the ponds over a 5 year period. Now the good thing is that the nearby moss has brought all the partners on board to make sure everything is done properly and above board. It appears to be a 5 year project resulting in 3 shallow ponds which would be ideal for fishing in. I see from our old fried Scottish Water they don't mention the fish. There are mentions that no fish should be allowed to escape and contaminate others in water courses.

The man who knows most about Coarse Fish in Scotland is Gus Brindle the Chairman of the Scottish Federation. John you could do no better than to contact Gus through the SFCA Website and ask his advice on the matter. Gus is the Top Man who should be listened to. He might not give you the answers you want to hear but what he will tell you is the truth.

I was a we bit worried about your chances but having read all the documents from the various bodies there will be Lawyers Planners and experts representing their thoughts.

All the best

Tommy Lauriston
Tommy L
10lb Carp
10lb Carp

Postby meppsfortrout » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:52 am

thanks very much Tommy i will contact him later today :thumb and thanks for taking the time to research it much appreciated
meppsfortrout
2lb Ide
2lb Ide

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic